21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 11:28 AM by chris.lapoint

Interface Charts have Incorrect Units

acherman

I have been noticing this for a while now.  Running 9.5 SP5, and my interface charts all have incorrect units on charts that are not related to bps.  For example, my interface view has the following charts in the right column - Min/Max/Avg bps In/Out, % Utilization, In/Out Errors and Discards, Total Bytes Transferred, and Min/Max/Avg packets In/Out.

All of them have the units on the y-axis set as Kbps.  Seems strange.  Even more strange is that they all have the same scale.  For example, all of the charts go from 0.0 bps to 600.0 Kbps.

So, same units for all charts, same scale.  Weird.  Thoughts?

• Re: Interface Charts have Incorrect Units
          Andy McBride

The Y axis autoscales, so if the interfaces have similar peaks they would have similar Y scales.

acherman

Yes, I understand there could be similar y-axis scales from one interface to another.  I have no issue with that as it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is the two y-axis units shown above in the screenshot.  Look closely.  Why does a chart for Percent Utilization have Kbps as the unit, and the same scale as the chart above it that is for Min/Max/Average bps In/Out?  How is 300.0 Kbps a percentage of anything?  not only that, but the charts show the exact same data points.

How about this screenshot that shows In/Out Errors and Discards and Total Bytes Transferred and yet they are the exact same charts... just with different titles.  Please note that this is one screenshot from one interface page - both resources are on a single page, one on top of the other.

Andy McBride

I see now. This may be a bug. Can you open a ticket so that we can track it?

acherman

Done. Case #135474.

Thanks Andy.

Andy McBride

I was able to replicate it - looks like a bug.

acherman

Really?  I found 2 bugs in 3 weeks?  haha  And no prize?  ;-)

Thanks Andy.  I will wait for support to contact me and update here.

Andy McBride

TT 15685, "The Acherman Bug"

RogerWong

Isn't that a novel by Robert Ludlum?

acherman

Seems I am contagious.  If only I were airborne...

So true, so true.

acherman

Painful.  I opened this case 23 days ago and have not had any info on the status, only that "we will get back to you when we have more info".  In the mean time I am forced t manually enter resource numbers to get the correct charts I need.

Hi Aaron--

Apologies on this. I'll see what I can find out for you.

M

acherman

We're taking bets around here as to when we will actually hear anything on this case.  I have 5 emails from various people stating that someone will check on the status and get back to me.  No one ever has.  haha  I wonder if I should tell Accounting to hold off on sending in the cheque to renew our "support" contract.  Grrr....

Sorry, I have a cold that is kicking the **** out of me and that coupled with hardware failures is making me a little grumpy today...

Hi Aaron--

Apologies for the delay--we are working to resolve the issue.

Just following up--did Chris' information help you. Please post back and let me know.

Hope your cold is improving ;-)

M

davbyrd

I've also seen this as a common mistake - not a bug.

Just as Chris stated, you are able to modify the view in the resource to reflect any of the available options... When you hit "submit" - it changes the resource.

If you are looking for percentage, etc - go back into each resource that is not displaying the correct chart and modify accordingly.

I've seen in the past where all interface detail chart resources were identical.

If you need assistance - call into support and ask for me.

Thanks,

David

acherman

This turns out to be correct.  However, if this is a mistake, it is not one that was made by the user (I am the only user) - a "mistake" implies that I have done something incorrectly, and I know I have not.

Seems like a very odd option to me.  Why would you be able to add a resource to a view and then be able to change the chart that is shown in that resource to something completely different?  Also, I know I did not go into each resource and change them to the same chart.

On that note, as a test I added more resources to the interface view, and none of the newly added ones have that EDIT button on them.  What's with that?  So, I try to delete a resource that has that option and add it back.  Guess what?  That resource name doesn't exist anywhere - looking for Min/Max/Avg Packets In/Out.  Can't find it.  I can find Min/Max/Avg Packets per Second - Today.  What's going on here?  Are there options being left behind by old versions or disappearing in new versions?  Am I losing my mind?  And something else that has always bugged me, now that I've made that change to that view and don't like it, I can't go back.  I can hit Preview, but if I don't like what I see I can't go back to what I had before.  Seems dumb.  I'm frustrated today.

Hi Aaron--

So if I'm reading this correctly, we "solved" your initial issue, no?

As for the new issue, I'll let the product manager and support know.

Thanks for the feedback.

M

chris.lapoint

This turns out to be correct.  However, if this is a mistake, it is not one that was made by the user (I am the only user) - a "mistake" implies that I have done something incorrectly, and I know I have not.

Seems like a very odd option to me.  Why would you be able to add a resource to a view and then be able to change the chart that is shown in that resource to something completely different?  Also, I know I did not go into each resource and change them to the same chart.

We hear you and we're fixing this in the next release.   The issue is that if you edit the resource (even to just see what setting are set) and then click submit, it will set the resource to the chart type selected in the drop-down list (which happens to be always set to Min/Max/Avg kbps chart type).  So, that's a problem.   The other problem is that it's cool to be able to change chart type on the fly, but we should automatically change the name of the chart to match the chart type to avoid user confusion. 

On that note, as a test I added more resources to the interface view, and none of the newly added ones have that EDIT button on them.  What's with that?  So, I try to delete a resource that has that option and add it back.  Guess what?  That resource name doesn't exist anywhere - looking for Min/Max/Avg Packets In/Out.  Can't find it.  I can find Min/Max/Avg Packets per Second - Today.  What's going on here?

It's hard to know without more detail.   I'd suggest opening a ticket if you're not able to resolve this.   If none of your resources have the edit button, it's likely you've disabled view customization on the account you're logged in as.

Am I losing my mind?

I'm not qualified to answer this ;-)

nd something else that has always bugged me, now that I've made that change to that view and don't like it, I can't go back.  I can hit Preview, but if I don't like what I see I can't go back to what I had before.  Seems dumb.  I'm frustrated today.

Sorry you're frustrated, but the good news is Friday!   I see your point on Preview.   I'll track that as a feature enhancement.

acherman

If none of your resources have the edit button, it's likely you've disabled view customization on the account you're logged in as.

Logged in as admin.  And it's not that none of them have the EDIT button, just any new ones that I add.  See the screenshot - all in the same view, bottom chart is where I removed the Min/Max/Avg packets In/Out and added that one back (looks to be the same info, named differently).

And while the EDIT button is not there, clicking on the chart to edit it still works, the SUBMIT button is there to make the changes permanent.

chris.lapoint

Yes, I understand there could be similar y-axis scales from one interface to another.  I have no issue with that as it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is the two y-axis units shown above in the screenshot.  Look closely.  Why does a chart for Percent Utilization have Kbps as the unit, and the same scale as the chart above it that is for Min/Max/Average bps In/Out?  How is 300.0 Kbps a percentage of anything?  not only that, but the charts show the exact same data points.

How about this screenshot that shows In/Out Errors and Discards and Total Bytes Transferred and yet they are the exact same charts... just with different titles.  Please note that this is one screenshot from one interface page - both resources are on a single page, one on top of the other.

acherman, can you try editing the chart and check on what the value of the drop-down is for the Select a Chart field?   I'd venture to guess that the chart types are all set to Min/Max/Avg bps in/out.   If you set this to the appropriate chart type, you'll see the values you expect.

The issue is that when you edit the chart, the drop-down is always set to the first one in the list.  So, when you submit, it will change the chart type.

Let us know if this resolves this one for you.

Thanks,

-Chris