This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Want to know more about Advanced Alerts?

Check out this new Technical Reference on Understanding Orion Advanced Alerts.

• This is a wonderful guide, thanks for posting this.

One question I still have regarding suppression;

Is the suppression an open ended query that can be met by any object or set of objects in the database that if met will suppress the alert or is it specific to the object that triggered the alert in the first place?

If the first is true then the example in the guide of a suppression versus a suppression embedded in the Alert Conditions are not the same.  The first would look through the entire database for any interface that met the condition where as the second would only look at the interfaces on the device that triggered the alert.

And then there is the third possibility of me completely not understanding something here.  = )

• The suppression is tied to the trigger condition, so it can be as specific as the trigger.

• Per this post:   and based upon my experience, I was under the impression that the suppression was not related to the triggering object(s) and could be met if the condition is true for any object in the database.

• Hmmm.  I'll have to check with dev on that one

• You are correct in that the entire db is scanned for the suppression condition but this is done as a combined query with the trigger condition, so the two examples would be equivalent. (Unless there is a nuance I'm not getting)

• So, if I had the following alert and suppression for that alert, would it suppress the alert for only the node named Bob and still notify me for all other nodes where the CPU was greater than 90 or would it always suppress the alert so long as a node existed in the database named Bob?

In my experience it would suppress all alerts so long as there was a node in the database named Bob.

Trigger when all of the following apply

CPU Utilization is greater than 90

Suppress Alert when all of the following apply

Node name is equal to Bob

• Unless the software has changed since the last time I tested, it worked this way for me too.

• Yep - You guys are correct! Looks like I have an edit to do.

• Now if I take my situation from before but include it all in the alert as appended below it will notify me on all systems where CPU is greater than 90 except when that system name is equal to Bob.

Trigger when all of the following apply

CPU Utilization is greater than 90

Node name is not equal to Bob

• Basically as far as I can tell the Suppression is a stand alone query of the database (not related to the Alert query) that if "True" will suppress the alert.