5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2010 4:24 AM by Nigel

Telnet Username

Hi ,

I am trying to use Cattools to back up some Cisco Switches and Routers.

The problem I am having is that the devices are set up for login local and therefore require a Username and a password. I can't seem to find anywhere in the device setup to add the username and when I run the backup job I get

"Specified Username is invaid for device (prompt: Username:)"

This is the same with both the Cisco.Router.General  and the Cisco.Switch.IOS types.

Help please !

Nigel

• Re: Telnet Username
          Wardini

Hi Nigel,

In the devices pane if you select a device and click edit to bring up the device information panel then click the passwords tab you can enter username and password in the AAA username and AAA passwords fields. Tick the Initial login uses username/password box and this should work. (Even though it says AAA it will still work for local)

Hi Wardini,

Tried what you suggested but still have the same problem. As an experiment I run Wireshark whilst trying to connect and the problem seems to be that the username field is sent with no (blank) value.

Any other thoughts ?

I can't believe I am the only person who wants to do this . Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks

Nigel

Wardini

Nigel,

I'm assuming that you are connecting via telnet?

Also when you log in manually the prompts you get are username: and password: ?

On the prompts tab on the device info pane can you check that all the fields are empty please.

If you can create a device capture for me I will look into the file to see if I can spot the problem. A device capture file records the communication between CatTools and the device you are having trouble with. You can create a device capture file as follows :

# Use the CatTools File menu to select the "Enable capture mode" option.
                  # Run the activity you are having trouble with. This should create a debug file in the \Debug folder.
                  # Zip up the resulting file and send this to me as an attachment.
                  # Remember to deselect the "enable capture mode" option again.

Please ensure that you *** out any sensative information.

Hi Nigel,

In the devices pane if you select a device and click edit to bring up the device information panel then click the passwords tab you can enter username and password in the AAA username and AAA passwords fields. Tick the Initial login uses username/password box and this should work. (Even though it says AAA it will still work for local)

With all other items as defaults, this suggested fix worked for me.

Hi Steven,

Strangely it didn't work for me. Then as an experiment I added another uername/Password to the Local database and it works straight away!

So it looks like it was something to do with the particular username/password I was trying to you. Can't understand why but as long as it works I'm happy.

Thanks to everybody for all the assistance

Nigel