2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 1:03 PM by viol8tor

Can one change the settings for a custom property after it is created?

freemen

Is it possible to change the Max Text Length for a user-defined custom property after it is already created? Is there a setting in the database somewhere that could be mass changed?

• Re: Can one change the settings for a custom property after it is created?
          mharvey

This would have to be done via the database.  You would need to modify the column in the appropriate table (node properties in the Nodes table, etc) and change the length.  Once done however, you would have to update the schemas in Orion to read these new lengths.  This is done as follows:

Start the Custom Property Editor, right click on the toolbar and select Customize. On the Commands tab, scroll to the bottom of the commands list (right side) and drag the item "Update Report Schemas" up to the toolbar. Close the Customize dialog and click the button that was just added. You should receive a message saying "Custom Properties have been added to all Report Schemas". Close the Customer Property Editor.

• Re: Can one change the settings for a custom property after it is created?
              viol8tor

Just went through and changed a couple of custom property props through the DB. Unfortunately, MHarvey's suggestion did not work for me. I had to manually edit the schema files on my servers.  Apparently, "Update Schemas" only works if you are adding a new custom property and not for applying your field property modifications.

Since 4 or 5 schema files are affected, it might be easier just to re-create the custom property field. 

Just my experience.

-v

This would have to be done via the database.  You would need to modify the column in the appropriate table (node properties in the Nodes table, etc) and change the length.  Once done however, you would have to update the schemas in Orion to read these new lengths.  This is done as follows:

Start the Custom Property Editor, right click on the toolbar and select Customize. On the Commands tab, scroll to the bottom of the commands list (right side) and drag the item "Update Report Schemas" up to the toolbar. Close the Customize dialog and click the button that was just added. You should receive a message saying "Custom Properties have been added to all Report Schemas". Close the Customer Property Editor.