This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Problems With APC SNMP Vendor/Machine Type Strings

Hi all, I'm trying to monitor a number of APC devices including UPSs, NetBotz, PDUs and ATSs. While I can successfully SNMP poll these devices and add them to the system I'm struggling to display useful information from them in Orion NPM due to them incorrectly reporting their Vendor and Machine Type strings and the way Orion NPM assigns views to devices.

I have:

• UPSs reporting an 'Unknown' vendor
  • NetBotz 320s reporting 'APC NetBotz' as Vendor and 'APC NetBotz Appliance' as Machine Type
  • A variety of different ATSs, PDUs, UPSs and NetBotz 200 reporting both Vendor and Machine Type as 'American Power Conversion Corp.'
Obviously this makes it very difficult for me to create custom device views that only contain the charts I need for each of these device types when the system struggles to differentiate between them. I've already updated the firmware on all devices so I see I've got two options:
  • get APC to fix there firmwares to correctly report this information (I can hear someone muttering "Good luck with that!")
  • somehow bodge the devices' entries in the Orion NPM database to be more useful
Any suggestions on  how to proceed with this?

• Gary,

I would recommend using the below thread.

As long as you provide the following, we can add this to a list of devices to be added.  This may then show up in a future release of Orion. 

What is needed":

SysObjectID which you can find in Node Details in System Manager

Vendor

Model

• Thanks Matthew, I've posted the details over there but almost all of the devices are already in the powernet.mib and aren't coming up as 'Unknown' in Orion NPM. The problem is that they're reporting the same information for Vendor and Machine Type so Orion NPM can't tell what hardware they are.

• that's fine, the information you sent should be able to clear up so the machine type reads differently as well.