5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2009 1:47 PM by rmiller

MSSQL 2008 installed, NPM down.

We upgraded our database from MS SQL 2000 to MS SQL 2008 today and are getting to a stuck point. Please provide assistance.

We were able to import the databases back into SQL after the install, but when trying to run the Orion Configuration Wizard we get the below errors:

If I enter the wrong password it gives me the following expected error:

However, when I enter the correct password or choose Windows Authentication it gives me the below error:

In full it says:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {10020100-E260-11CF-AE68-00AA004A34D5} failed due to the following error: 80040154.

at SolarWinds.ConfigurationWizard.Common.DatabaseHelper.ValidateSQLSecurity(String serverName, String user, String password, Boolean useSQLSecurity)

at SolarWinds.ConfigurationWizard.Host.DatabaseServerScene.DoValidateConfig(Boolean silentMode)

.... Edited for brevity (hundreds of lines of error message)

• Re: MSSQL 2008 installed, NPM down.
          njoylif

if this is a new install and importing DBs, you will have to create the SolarWindsNPM user and PW in the new DB environment, and set permissions properly.

I ran into this as well when I did my migration.  Hope that helps.

• Re: MSSQL 2008 installed, NPM down.
            pacetti

rmiller,

Please review the procedures provided in the SolarWinds Technical Reference, "Moving Your Orion NPM Database", paying specific attention to the sections titled "Creating a Database Backup File with SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager", "Restoring a Database Backup File for SQL Server 2008", and "Updating Orion NPM to Use the New Database Server".

You may need to delete the original SolarWindsNPM user account associated with your SQL2000 db, and create a new one, using the Configuration Wizard, for your SQL2008 db.

EDIT: It looks like njoylif replied while I was typing this up. Thanks, Larry.