This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Engineer's Toolset - Workspace Studio vs. Standalone "Classic" applications

Well, seeing as though it is Friday afternoon and all, might as well open this can o' worms...

1. Which do you prefer: using the Workspace Studio gadgets, or it's sister Standalone Classic Tools?
  2. Have you tried the Workspace Studio?
  3. Have you tried the "detached gadget" mode of the Workspace Studio?

--Greg

• Aloha....

Well since you asked.......

1.   Which do you prefer: using the Workspace Studio gadgets, or it's sister Standalone Classic Tools?

80% of the time the Workspace Studio gadgets get what I need done, but that 20% is the part that is most visible outside my physical monitors.  Until the Switch Port Mapper and MAC finder is somehow integrated with NPM or Workspace Studio permits export to track down a MAC address to a switch port I will always need one of the Classic Tools.  The Switch Port Mapper is helpful to dump to xml that I can then read into another DB (and hopefully the DNS issue gets resolved soon so I don't have to join dbs to get name resolving to the IP/MAC address - ).  Then, I have not delved to far into it, the MAC finder that you have in the Studio always comes back with the same answer "- Data Collection result: Success MAC was not found."  So I am unable to train the other admins to use that tool.

2.   Have you tried the Workspace Studio?

Often/Daily

3.  Have you tried the "detached gadget" mode of the Workspace Studio?

Very handy - and easier than trying to create a single page with everything I need (or tabbing between).

Mahalo for asking....

• Haole - Thanks for the responses... Not sure if I understand all of answer #1, but The Workspace Studio version of Switch Port Mapper currently (V10.4) exports to CSV, XML, and HTML...

I did respond in the mentioned thread regarding the missing IP's, let do a Goto if possible and have a look-see.

--Greg

• workspace might be ok but the 10.4 Toolset product with SNMP V3 is virtually a piece of junk. 

It does not manage credentials correctly.  One time it tells you they work and somewhere else testing fails.  It does not work through a firewall AT ALL, which worked perfectly well with v2c.  Gadgets dead end and freezeup.   Some Classic Tools with with v2c, others to not.  Virtually ALL do not work with v3.

The whole interface only seems to recognize items inside a firewall.  If you have and perimeter router, it cannot be managed by this version with v3.  The credentials simply are not recognized. 

In all I have installed and uninstalled this product twice.  This product is unreliable and a waste of time. 

I am about to ask for a wipe program to revitilize my registry, remove the product an move to another product.

• Aloha Greg....

"Switch Port Mapper currently (V10.4) exports to CSV, XML, and HTML"

Yes, I noticed this, and it is an improvement over what I was first faced with, but I need to automate the way to get this data (run it on off hours, various times), is there a similar command line like the Switch Port Mapper tool?

• eperrell - I am sorry you are having so many issues running SNMPv3... I know it is working for thousands of other users as well as myself. We test extensively on device connectivity as that is the product's main functionality.

I am curious, do you have another suite of SNMP tools that does work correctly for you? Have you called support to see if there is something peculiar to your site/installation that could lead to these issues?

Thanks,

Greg