2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 11:36 AM by jeff.stewart

Looking for Creative Alert Solutions

Andy McBride

Hi all,

I'm looking for samples of how you have created alerts for unusual situations or to solve a complicated alerting scenario. The samples will be used in an upcoming paper on alerts and alert logic. Of course the will be completely 'genericized' with machine names like r1, sw2 etc.  

I'll give up a SolarWinds swag item for the ones I can use!

Thanks - Andy

• Re: Looking for Creative Alert Solutions
          byrona

I guess I will start by explaining the problem I had to solve...

We are using Cisco IPSLA for measuring link quality for multiple links across our state.  One of the particular IPSLA items we are concerned about is MOS and unfortunately due to limited budget I am unable to purchase the SW IPSLA module for Orion so I have had to piece this all together with Orion NPM.  With regard to MOS I need to know if any of the links has their MOS go below 4.

The problem that I ran into is that we are running multiple IPSLA tests on each link and only some of the tests have MOS as an output.  For the tests that don't have MOS they have a zero value.  Because of this if I simply setup an alert to let me know if MOS drops below 4 I will get alerts for each test on each link that doesn't product MOS as an output because it will plot a 0.

I was able to work around this problem by determining which tests would have a good value and then telling my alert to only look at those rows.  Below is a screenshot of the alert.

I realize that this probably isn't the best example but hopefully it can help somebody out there.

• Re: Looking for Creative Alert Solutions
              jeff.stewart

Node Pool Based Alert.  The idea was to be alerted if a set number of servers in a specific node pool went down. 

Sample SQL Statements:

Trigger Query

select Nodes.NodeID AS NetObjectID, Nodes.Caption AS Name

from nodes

where Nodes.caption equals '<PoolObjectName>' and ((select count(*) from Nodes where Nodes.caption like '%<something in the name to show pool membership>%' and nodes.Status = '2') >2)

Reset Query

select Nodes.NodeID AS NetObjectID, Nodes.Caption AS Name

from nodes

where Nodes.caption equals '<PoolObjectName>' and ((select count(*) from Nodes where Nodes.caption like '%<something in the name to show pool membership>%' and nodes.Status = '1') >=2)