This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL 2008 Tweaking

Are there any changes you recommend to be made to SQL 2008 from a base install?

We don't have a DB team so we're managing the SQL servers ourselves.

Thanks

Jon

• I also would be interested in an answer to this.

• Me three - Any recommendations woudl be helpful. Having problems.

• BUMP

Anyone? I'm using SQL 2008 as well.

Here is my setup and right now I have 14Gig on my DB server running at 45% memory use. My server is capable of up to a max of 32Gig of RAM (Windows 2K8 Standard limitations booooo).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server 1 - WEB Server
    Hardware: DL360 G6 L5520, 4Gig RAM RDIMM, 70gig HD 15K RPM RAID 1+0 array 512Mb backup kit
    Software: Windows 2K3 SP2 32bit, NPM SLX, NTA SLX, NCM 100

Server 2 - DB Server
    Hardware: DL360 G6 E5540, 14Gig RAM RDIMM, 140gig HD 15K RPM RAID 1+0 array 512Mb backup kit
    Software: Windows 2K8 SP2 64bit, SQL Server 2K8 64bit

• As for memory - I think you're OK at 14GB.

I'm not a DBA either, but this is kind of standard DBA practice:  keep the DB log files on different physical disks from the database files, and also look at the TEMP database - that one seems to get a lot of activity.  Don't put the Temp or Orion database files (logs and/or database files) on the system drive.  YOU NEED ADDITIONAL PHYSICAL HARD DISKS TO KEEP THE DB SERVER UNDER CONTROL.  Watch your disk que time for all hard disks - that will tell you if there is contention. 

For starters, I would do this for disks:

• RAID 1 (2 drives) - System/OS
    • RAID 1 (2 drives) - Temp DB files (log and database files)
    • RAID 1 (2 drives) - Other database (Orion databases) log files
    • RAID 1 (2 drives) - Other database (Orion databases) database files

So that would be four, individual RAID 1 arrays; possibly eight disks?  If performance is lacking, you would have to look at RAID 10 arrays.  Or use SAN attached storage...

• How many of you have been considering solid state drives (SSD) as replacements for the traditional RAID 1+0 arrays?

• Roger

Looked into it but too expensive for the capacity required.

Why can't Solarwinds produce a performance guide for SQL to get the best out of there products, we're not all in the fortunate position of having DB teams to manage our deployments and I for one put SQL in and don't touch it once installed.

Thanks

Jon

• Hi Jon--

I'll make sure that the manager of SW Information Development and the SW product managers see your request.

Thanks,

M

• Hi Jon/Roger,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would like to get Solarwinds recommendation on SQL 2005/2008 tweaks base on their products. I'm running all three modules and out of the three, NTA eats alot of memory resource and after following the Solarwinds KB support.solarwinds.com/.../ProblemDetail.cfm, my DB server memory utilization is still high polling the same number of nodes.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks

• Hi Jon--

Right now, Information Development does not have all it needs to produce this manual. Again, I'll make sure that the Product Manager has this info to put on the roadmap.

M

• Hey Jon--just want  to make sure you got the message above?