3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 8:19 AM by ecornwell

Ping wildcarding

ekonowal

I previsouly posted this about Orion's discovery engine but it really should be an improvement to ping sweep (toolset) as well.

Need a way to ping specific addresses across subnets.  To locate servers that all have the same IP address in different class B subnets.

WebServer - 10.{site}.2.11

To find all WebServers installed at sites, I currently have to ping sweep from 10.1.2.11 to 10.200.2.11.  Very time consuming and inefficient.

All I really want to do is ping sweep from 10.1.2.11 to 10.200.2.11 while changing only the second octet.

Or 10.*.2.11 would be ok.

Or configure it like Cisco Access Lists, that would be more powerful.

10.0.2.11  0.255.0.0

• Re: Ping wildcarding
          davzak

Wildcards are not supported in current version of Discovery. There is only option to create text file that contains all IP’s and use Bulk Upload selection method like:

bshopp

We currently don't support wild carding in discovery, only workaround I can think of is take the first address in a wordpad and do a find-replace up to where you want to discover through and then paste them into the bulk upload section of discovery

ecornwell

The same thing can be done easily with Excel.  I've done it a lot that way.  Create a list of what you need and then save it as a text file.  With a little tweaking, you can create these kinds of lists very quickly.