18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2009 6:35 PM by Karlo.Zatylny

Bandwidth alerts

Hi,

I have setup an advance bandwidth alert which will trigger for all the WAN interfaces (a custom property)

Is there a possibility that i could add Top 10 talkers, Top 10 conversations, Top 10 receivers and Top 10 transmitters in the same alert which would really help?

I think someone should have done this for sure as this involved SQL to get the information to advance alert

Thanks

Chandru

• Re: Bandwidth alerts
          macnugetz

Chandru-

Could you provide some more detail on what you're trying to do with the alert?  For example, what are the trigger conditions for your bandwidth alert, and what are the conditions you want to be alerted on for the Top 10's?

Thanks!

Craig

Karlo.Zatylny

Hi,

[Note I edited this post as I made an incorrect statement about our functionality.]

You could do this with a Custom SQL Macro in the Alert.

${SQL: SELECT MyCustomUserFunctionThatReturnsTop10NodesByCPU}

See my post later in this thread for the working answer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Thanks all!!

I already have netflow and currently we are manually looking into this for troubleshooting

Is the SQL macro can be get from Netflow as well

If you have setup anything or any example that would be good for a start

Chandru

Karlo.Zatylny

Hi,

The SQL Macro can take any valid SQL, so you could write a statement that pulls from the Netflow tables and have that information put into your Alert.  But note that only the first column of the first returned row will appear, so you need to make sure your SQL returns only one value.

I don't have any examples off the top of my head.  What are you looking for?

Thanks

Hi,

Can you help me with top 5 conversations from netflow?

Thanks

Chandru

Hi, 

It would be really great if i can get the below information from netflow

Can we get all this below information as part of the alerts?

Top 10 talkers

Top 5 Source

Top 5 Destination

Top 5 conversation

Hi Karlo Zatylny,

Any help with this SQL macros

Thanks

Chandru

Karlo.Zatylny

Sorry for the delay.  I will get a simple statement for this that you can then change for your needs.

Thanks!!

Awaiting for your reply

Karlo.Zatylny

OK,

Sorry, my first answer is not correct.  I will go back and edit it.  Our SQL Macros will only return one value from the SELECT statement, which is basically the first column of the first row.  Hence, what you want to do is something a little more complex.

Also, the Netflow team doesn't have a simple way to get the data that you are requesting.  They have some more complex stored procedures that are guaranteed to stay the same in future releases, so we can't reliably give you a SQL statement that will work for a long period of time. 

However, to fix my previous answer, you first need to get the TOP XX into a single variable of text.  You most easily do this for this case with a User Defined Function on your SQL Server.  For the Top 10 CPU Nodes, you could do something like this:

USE [NetPerfMon]
                                        GO

/****** Object:  UserDefinedFunction [dbo].[MyTop10NodesByCpu]    Script Date: 11/25/2009 15:02:00 ******/
                                        SET ANSI_NULLS ON
                                        GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
                                        GO

-- =============================================
                                        -- Author:        <Author,,Name>
                                        -- Create date: <Create Date, ,>
                                        -- Description:    <Description, ,>
                                        -- =============================================
                                        CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[MyTop10NodesByCpu]
                                        (
                                        )
                                        RETURNS varchar(1000)
                                        AS
                                        BEGIN
                                            declare @ResultsList varchar(1000)
                                            select TOP 10 @ResultsList = coalesce(@ResultsList + ', ', '') + Caption FROM Nodes ORDER BY CpuLoad

-- Return the result of the function
                                            RETURN @ResultsList

END

GO

Then the select statement in your alert would look like this:

${SQL:select dbo.MyTop10NodesByCpu()}

Sorry I am not completely answering your question, but hopefully you have some of the tools to get what you want.  You might have to do a little investigative work to find out the information you want from Netflow.

I will suggest this item as a feature to the PM team.

Thanks