2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2009 10:05 PM by bshopp

Process crash/frequent database errors

jlintner

I'm getting the follwing error in my event log on the polling server at a rate of about 10 per minute:

Event Type: Information
      Event Source: AlertingEngine
      Event Category: None
      Event ID: 0
      Date:  11/14/2009
      Time:  9:47:20 PM
      User:  N/A
      Computer: OrionPoller
      Description:
      2009-11-14 21:47:20,736 [AlertCheckingThread] WARN  Error - Error in UpdateRowsThatAreReset() -
      System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
         at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
         at AlertingEngine.CheckAlert.UpdateRowsThatAreReset()

Things were working great for the past day or so - I guess it was too good to be true!  I was checking a site when the web performance went to horrible/non-responsive.  The CPU on the polling/web server is pegged and I noticed the businesslayerhost process crashed again.  I had to restart the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service and since this is how thing are - not responsive again.  Do I need to restart all of the services again?

We are running NPM 9.5, SP4; MSSQL 2005 enterprise on a seperate server.