13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2016 2:05 AM by rafish

Exclude from High Subnet Usage Monitoring alert

BakerD

Just upgraded to v1.5 and it seems to have gone well.  I'm liking the new features. 

Awhile back I added a custom field to keep subnets from showing up in the Top XX summary which I found on this forum.  Is there a way to keep subnets from triggering alerts on High Subnet usage?

Thanks

• Re: Exclude from High Subnet Usage Monitoring alert
          chris.smouse

Hi BakerD -

If you edit the "Top xx" resource, you can specify a custom filter for that resource.  Is that what you're looking for?

BakerD

Hi BakerD -

If you edit the "Top xx" resource, you can specify a custom filter for that resource.  Is that what you're looking for?

Not the top xx resource.  I'm already doing the trick posted here: Re: Subnet filtering - Top XX Subnets by %

On my NPM home page under the All Triggered Alerts I'm now seeing Advanced Alerts for subnet ranges showing High Subnet Usage Monitoring since the upgrade to v1.5.  I have certain subnets that I don't want to be alerted on as they will be close to full but never fill.  So I'm just wondering how to omit certain subnets?

Thanks

chris.smouse

Ah.  Check out the Alert Manager utility that ships with Orion.  It will let you customize the alert for the High Subnet Usage Monitoring.  You can filter based on subnet or raise/lower the utilization threshold.

Hope this helps.

Chris

BakerD

Ah.  Check out the Alert Manager utility that ships with Orion.  It will let you customize the alert for the High Subnet Usage Monitoring.  You can filter based on subnet or raise/lower the utilization threshold.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I appreciate your help and suggestions so far, but I think you are missing what I'm looking for.  I have certain ones I want excluded all together.  I don't want to mess with the alert just so these fall off the radar because then I will not get alerts on the ones that I need it on.

Thanks

chris.smouse

I'm thinking you should be able to exclude specific nodes by either IP address or node name in Alert Manager.  If you still have questions, please open up a support ticket and one of our staff will be able to walk through this with you.

Thanks.

Bahlkris

I think I might be working on the same problem, forgive if I am wrong, I am still new to the product.

I have several subnets that are /30 point to point links between routers and switches accross a campus lan.  I like to track these in IPAM so I can measure their uptimes, but obviously they are subnets that are 100% full.  I get an advanced alert for it every couple of minutes even when cleared.

On my Orion server under the Advanced Alert Manager I click on Configure Alerts and edit the High Subnet Usage Monitoring and then the Alert Supression tab.  I added a complex condition "field * is equal to value *" where the first * is "object type" and the second * is the subnet name typed in as a string value.

That seemed to work for me, however it did supress ALL of my DHCP high subnet usage messages.  Not a big concern for me, we dont usually run our subnets high but I may move the condition to the Trigger Condition and change the "is equal to" to "is not equal to" and then create one for each /30 subnet by name.

The one thing that bothered me about this is in the complex condition "Object Type" = "Subnet Name"  or at least its called subnet name in the properties in the IPAM web based manager.  However in the acutal alert manager it shows "Subnet Name" = "Object Name".  There seems to be a bit of inconsistent labeling between the web interface, the alert manager, and the complex condition.  Perhaps someone at SW should look into that?

-b

martin.susil

Hello Bahlkris,

instead of using suppress condition with enumeration of subnets you dont want to monitor, you could alter 'Trigger Condition' - add new simple condition

'CIDR is not equal to 30'

That would filter out all /30 subnets.

Bahlkris

Bahlkris

Good point, I guess I dont need to chase the subnet name.

BakerD

My idea was to create a custom field called OmitAlerts and then set the value to true on subnets I wanted omitted from the alert.  I have messed around with the alert triggered conditions and it just doesn't seem to work right.  The alert always seems to get suppressed for everything no matter what I put in there. 

What is weird is if I put in a simple condition (OmitAlerts is not equal to true), all active alerts get suppressed.  I then changed the simple condition to (OmitAlerts is equal to true) and on the subnets I have set to true show up now.

I have tried *true* also in both cases and nothing that didn't help.

Maybe it is because the alert see the OmitAlerts field as blank and that is messing with it somehow.

BakerD

My idea was to create a custom field called OmitAlerts and then set the value to true on subnets I wanted omitted from the alert.  I have messed around with the alert triggered conditions and it just doesn't seem to work right.  The alert always seems to get suppressed for everything no matter what I put in there. 

What is weird is if I put in a simple condition (OmitAlerts is not equal to true), all active alerts get suppressed.  I then changed the simple condition to (OmitAlerts is equal to true) and on the subnets I have set to true show up now.

I have tried *true* also in both cases and nothing that didn't help.

Maybe it is because the alert see the OmitAlerts field as blank and that is messing with it somehow.

Ok, so it does seem that is doesn't like the OmitAlerts field being blank.  If I put in anything but "true" then they show up.  Could this be a bug?

rafish

Hi Martin,

I have the same problem, on my dashboard i use "top 25 subnets by %" and all my /30 and /29 are red and warning.

If i create new alert as you mentioned it want help me, i think i need to edit the original alert condition, am i right ?

Can you you help with that issue ?

Regards

Rafi