This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

New to Orion NPM

Hi

I am new to Orion and in general to network monitoring / management.

I have been reading / testing various tools for network  management.

HP procurve manager, Observer, Whats up etc and obviously NPM is the one out of them and it looks the best of all.

But i am consfused about few things..

1. what are these terms suppose to mean

NETWORK WIDE AVERGAGE UTILISATION (It is at 200,000%) which i dont think is normal

sometimes when i check it is betwene 10-20% which sounds right, but what is this a measure for? is it good or bad? could someplease shed some light

we have been monitoring our network for 10 days, i know we need to di it for longer but ...

i just want to weather we are on the right track..

• Hi rucky,

Network  wide utilization is the average over all circuits being managed. It should never be >100%. In fact, it should never be near 100% at all. There may be some high speed interfaces on your network with NPM using 32 bit counters. This can cause ludicrous results when the counters roll. High speed interfaces (>10Mbps) should use 64 bit counters where possible.  

Overall the lower that number the better. It means you have available bandwidth. The real value of that number is disputable as you could have several critical interfaces pegged at 100% and still have a low overall number.

I was consulting on a NOC once and the CFO of the company saw the overall network utilization at ~15% and blew a fuse. He wanted this fixed and the network up to 100% utilization immediately! A test of my consulting-speak skills.

• I went in and looked at my graph on this and also found several spikes 140000000%.  Something seems incorrect about this calculation.

You mention the counter rolling as a potential issue.  I have some interfaces that no matter what I set them to (32 or 64 bit) they occationally throw very odd and ridiculously high numbers at times, assuming when they roll.

Any thoughts on this?

• There might be an issue we are not aware of. Can one of you open a ticket on it so we can determine the exact cause?

Andy

• I have opened a a ticket on this.  Case #128211