4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 11:13 AM by Andy McBride

System Requirement for Solarwinds Product

Hi All,

I am looking for system requirement documents and\or recommendation for implementing Solarwinds products.

We are looking at deploying the latest version of Orion NPM, NCM, NTA, VoIP, Wireless and IPAM, the total of nodes are around 500.

Questions:

Should I have two separate Polling engine to break out the module or can I run all the module on the same server? what is the hardware recommendation?

The Database will run on the separate database server but not dedicate to the Solarwinds or should I get a dedicate database server for the Solarwinds? and what is the hardware recommendation for the database server? 

Is there any known issue with running Solarwinds product on the virtual server? (exlcusing the DB server).

Thanks in advance,

• Re: System Requirement for Solarwinds Product
          Andy McBride

Hi and welcome to Thwack!

The Administrator Guides give hardware specs for each product. You are getting a lot of products and the guides don't address this much so I'll help with some guidance. NPM runs as the main product and NTA, IP SLAM (formerly VoIP), and IPAM run as modules on NPM. These can all be installed on one server and it can be a virtual server. Just make sure you give all the resources as directed in the Admin Guides.  

We require a seperate database and for this installation it should be a dedicated one. The database server for the above should have 2 RAID 1 drives for the OS and logs and 6 to 8 RAID 10 drives (15K SAS) for the database. Databases cannot be installed on VMs. That configuration is unsupported.

The NCM server will need it's own database as specified in the NCM manual.

Hope this helps.

Nick09

Where in any of your documentation is it spelled out hardware requirement/configuration:
              Example
              1 Raid 1 for OS

1 RAID1 for logs

1 Raid 5 or 10 for SQL

Does SQL 2008 Express take advantage of mulit procs?

I am looking for SOLARWINDS to spell it ALL out for me so there is no mistake in the building of the server and installing of the software.
              Like a "best practice" document.
              Thanks

FYI. I read this and would like to be able to read it in a formal document. "We require a seperate database and for this installation it should be a dedicated one. The database server for the above should have 2 RAID 1 drives for the OS and logs and 6 to 8 RAID 10 drives (15K SAS) for the database. Databases cannot be installed on VMs. That configuration is unsupported"

Nick09

In one of my NPM server builds I configured as follows:
                  1 RAID 1 for OS
                  1 RAID 6 for the applcation

SQL server
                  1 RAID 1 for OS
                  1 RAID 1 for SYS Logs
                  1 RAID 1 for SQL Logs
                  1 RAID 1 for SQL DB

The best setup is to have an MSA (Mass Storade Array) connected to your server. 
                  You would configure 3 RAID 10 (4 drives per array) on the MSA and 1 in the server for the OS. 
                  This will give you the best performace and best possible redundancy.

The question here is what is the best setup for NCM.
                  Do I need another SQL server?
                  How can I squeeze the best performance out of one server using which version of SQL EXPRESS? 2008 or 2005
                  Thanks

Andy McBride

Hi Nick,

For the SQL server see this tip The specified item was not found..

I would not recommend using all 8 drives up with  4 RAID 1 pairs. Using 2 for c:, 2 for d: and 4 for f: would give much better performance.

NCM can share the DB server but will have it's own database. SQL express will only work for very small deployments. You should seriously consider a full version of SQL.

Andy