11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2009 9:41 AM by greg@solarwinds.net

Solarwinds config file backup not working

Hello,

When i try with download configs from my network, when using this tool it's not working properly, it shows transfer failed no configuration information

avaliable on router.

Properly installed TFTP Server, :: TFTP server Status Started.

I tried both Engineer Edition & NCM also but not yet got download the

configs file.

Regards,

Hari M CCIE#22157 R&S

• Re: Solarwinds config file backup not working

Hello,

Normally we connect throu VPN to customer network, i was put the VPN ip address to the TFTP Server address.

For example. My company network : 10.0.0.1 if i connect to VPN to customer network  i got 192.168.0.1 so i used to give the TFTP Server address 192.168.0.1. its failed to retrive the config files from customer network, at the same time i can able to ping and telnet to those devices, Please do the needful help

Regards,

Hari.M CCIE#22157 R&S

Hari - a couple of things jump out at me here...

Can you CLI TFTP a config file from the target device on the private network back through the VPN?

Is UDP port 69 open on the TFTP server machine?

Does the machine your are trying to get a config off have a route to the VPN network?

--Greg

Hello,

Thanks for your email.

1. TFTP services has started

2. Solar winds TFTP has started UDP 69.

3. I was tried to port scan tool, it shows port 69 closed.

4. TFTP has installed my company network. When i was trying to connect Customer Network to use VPN. once connected VPN i got one ip address.

5. I set the TFTP server ip address(connected VPN ip address).

6. After pass the snmp test, i can see the switch name, after that it will ask running config / startup config. i choose the below one, after that it shows the error msg.  "transfer failed no configuration information  avaliable on router".

Regards,

Hari.M CCIE#22157

Hari - The only time we should be reporting that error is if the device responded with a code 5 in the following MIB:

CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB:ccCopyFailCause

OID     1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.13
                      Type     ConfigCopyFailCause

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&typeName=ConfigCopyFailCause

Which essentially means the device really has no config to transfer, or some permission is blocking it.

You can capture the SNMP traffic between the two to validate, or send me a copy and I will check it out for you.

HTH,

Greg

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,

1. I logged in cisco website and

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.10

Could you please tell me step by step. Pls do the needful help.

Regards,

Hari .M

Hari - Using a sniffer like Wireshark, capture the UDP port 161 traffic on the VPN interface (while attempting to download a config) and send it to me.

--Greg

Hello,

Please find the below output.

[View:/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.03.78.03/error.rar]

Regards,

Hari.M CCIE#22157

Hari - can you please get me a capture file in the binary pcap format (so I can open it in Wireshark)? The text version you sent in does not have all of the SNMP fields included (specifically the values of the VarBinds).

--Greg

Hello,

Thanks for your email. Please find the below attchment FYI.

[View:/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.03.78.03/err.rar]

Regards,

Hari.M CCIE#22157

Hi Hari - I see two transfer attempts in your capture.  The device is definitely telling us that it has no config to transfer (packet analysis down below), but I think it might be confused...

What happens and what do you see on the debug console when you CLI the following commands:

1. debug tftp events
                                              2. debug tftp packets
                                              3. copy run tftp: (follow the prompts using the address of the vpn adapter as the destination)

If you get a fail to connect, you need to debug that.  If you can connect and it transfers fine, then you will need to open a Cisco TAC case (if you think the device should actually have a config to transfer).

*Packet Analysis*

If you look at packet 163, you can see where we are asking the device the status of the transfer, and it replies with a 4 (in packet 164), which if you look up the code here, you will see the following values:

1 : waiting
                                                                                                                   2 : running
                                                                                                                   3 : successful
                                                                                                                   4 : failed

Then in packet 165 we ask for the reason for the failure, to which the device responds with a "5" (in packet 166). You can look up the mean of the 5 here.

CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB:ccCopyFailCause

OID     1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.13
                                              Type     ConfigCopyFailCause

You will see the following values:

1 : unknown
                                                                                                                   2 : badFileName
                                                                                                                   3 : timeout
                                                                                                                   4 : noMem
                                                                                                                   5 : noConfig

So, the device is telling us that there is no config to download.  If you believe it should have a config that can be downloaded, again, the only thing I can recommend is to open a TAC case with Cisco.

HTH,

Greg

Hello,

1. I used Snmp real time graph, and given ip add and given comunity string
                                      2. snmp mib variable to monitor is CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB:cccopyfailcause
                                      3. press okay
                                      4. x.x.x.x does not seem to support CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB:cccopyfailcause

Is that right ? pls help me

Regards,

Hari.M