This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitors created in wrong device

Using ipMonitor 9.05, when I create a new device that happens to have the same Windows computer name as another device already in ipMonitor, the monitors get created in the original device.  For example, due to restrictions with third party software, we have several managed customer servers with the same exact Windows Netbios name.  I can create the first device just fine, as well as the monitors.  However, when I attempt to create the second device, even though it's on a completely different IP and uses a different SNMP string, the monitors for that second device get created under the first device.

Bug?  By design?  Upgrade?

• The behavior your seeing was by design to avoid creating duplicate devices when rescanning. In this case you could simply create new devices via the "Add new Device" as it allows you to enter the address and the desired name and then you can skip the scanning by checking "Add device immediately without scanning".  Then you can select this device and add new monitors as needed.

Hope this helps!

Matt

• Understood, but why not use the IP address as the unique identifier?  I'll try your suggestion, it looks like it will work fine.  Thanks!

• Sorry to reply to an old thread, but this happens to me as well the only difference is

I choose to scan for a new device,   SERVERX, I run through the wizard, when I hit create, it adds all the monitors to a device already established DEVICEB.  DEVICEB has been in IPMon for a good length of time.   I have tried adding SERVERX by hostname and IP, at then end of the wizard, it always adds it to DEVICEB, even though through out the wizard everything is reflected as SERVERX.

I am on version 10 and it did this with 9.0.5 as well with multiple adds.  It is not a DNS or WINS issue on the IPMon host.

• We got the same issue. We only uses a custum DNS for ipmonitor name resolution but after scanning the server gives the netbios name back. This is very frustrating when you monitor allot different domains.

• Hi Global-e and Triatholon--

I've marked this for the PM.

M