23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 3:54 PM by steverodrigue

Monitoring Multiple Context's In NPM

I have this Cisco ACE 4710 that has 4 context's running on it.  We are currently running SNMPv3 so context's aren't really an issue.  The problem i'm having is in NPM I have the ACE device (LB1 - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) with no context field in it's snmp so I get basic system stats from the Admin Context.  I try to add another device (LB1-DMZ - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and it trashes (Original monitors get lost and the new one's are unknown.  to fix had to remove and re-add the device) the first instance even though I have named them differently. 

Hopefully there is an easy soluton for this either being able to add mutliple SNMP polls to a single device (with different credentials because of the context field), or being able to add multiple devices (different names same IP).

I hope i'm missing something and this is possible.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

• Re: Monitoring Multiple Context's In NPM

/bump

Please help!!

Ok i'll /bump one more time hoping for some type of answer.

bshopp

Sorry for the delay in answering.  So you cannot add multiple duplicate IP's to NPM without them overriding each other right now. We have an enhancement to allow users to do this open in the system.  Can you not give each context an Admin IP like on a Cisco FWSM?

I can give each context and Admin IP, although it would would be against our security practices.  The whole point of creating these different context's (for us) is to have one admin context to worry about that handles all of our admin work for the box leaving the other 3 context's to only do their jobs and lessen the security risks there as well.

With SNMPv3 supporting context's I would hope there is a better way.

This enhancement you speak of, could you please provide more information regarding that?

Thank you for your reply this has been a very frustrating issue as we lead into the last week before our site go live.

jon.pahl

I am a cloud service provider and have 150 VRF contexts. I would like to monitor equipment in these contexts and yes on more then one occasion the IP address space overlaps.  My original thought was to use PAT on a router and configuring Solarwinds to access the devices by connecting to a differing IP: port combination. I.e. VRF10Dev1 = 1.1.1.1:1001, VRF10Dev2 = 1.1.1.1:1002, VRF15Dev1 = 1.1.1.1:1501.

But from what i have read and tested this is not a workable solution. Solarwinds requires an additional polling engine  per overlapping IP address space, in my case i would need 20 additional polling engines today, not going to happen with the current price tag.

Do we have any ETA on a supported option to use Port Address Translation, allowing multiple instance of the same IP to be supported by Orion with different SNMP ports per node. I don't have an instance where two clients are using the exact same IP for devices we want to monitor.

My alternative would be to use an open source SNMP monitor and forward alerts to Solarwinds. I would loose a number of data-points with this option while opening the door to replace Solarwinds with a less expensive alternative.

MFA

I have this Cisco ACE 4710 that has 4 context's running on it.  We are currently running SNMPv3 so context's aren't really an issue.  The problem i'm having is in NPM I have the ACE device (LB1 - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) with no context field in it's snmp so I get basic system stats from the Admin Context.  I try to add another device (LB1-DMZ - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and it trashes (Original monitors get lost and the new one's are unknown.  to fix had to remove and re-add the device) the first instance even though I have named them differently. 

Hopefully there is an easy soluton for this either being able to add mutliple SNMP polls to a single device (with different credentials because of the context field), or being able to add multiple devices (different names same IP).

I hope i'm missing something and this is possible.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I've solved this by polling an ip-address in each context. Each context is a new node i NPM.

How do you monitor your ACE? I've tryed to make my own custom poller, but i have problems with getting the right ServerFarm names exported to NPM. I'm only getting a bunch of numbers like this "1.24.83.65.80.45.75.85.78.68.69.80.79.82.84.65.76.45.80.84.69.83.84.45.83.70.9.83.80.87.69.66.67.52.49.48.80" per server.

henriknoerr

Hi,

We have +12 Cisco ACE clusters we need to monitor - and still no resolution three years after this post was created?

The idea of giving each context is not really an option. It creates all sorts of security issues with clients jumping to other contexts not to mention the management difficulties.

Each node has a primary key in the database which is incremental. I do not see any reason why you should stop us from polling the same ip?

Can you shed some light on this?

Best regards,

Henrik Noerr

jase4772

Hi,

We've just moved from a Cisco 11503 to the ACE device and before we had a custom poller for connections and also the server names. What I've managed to come with this time is the following :-

Connections - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.470.1.1.1.1.19

Name of each device - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.470.1.1.1.1.5

This seemed to be the best I could get. Annoyingly we still don't get the built in style of cpu and memory and have to rely on a custom poller for that (once I've done it)

HTH's

steverodrigue

2009 and since then the situation has not been resolved?