This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring Multiple Context's In NPM

I have this Cisco ACE 4710 that has 4 context's running on it.  We are currently running SNMPv3 so context's aren't really an issue.  The problem i'm having is in NPM I have the ACE device (LB1 - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) with no context field in it's snmp so I get basic system stats from the Admin Context.  I try to add another device (LB1-DMZ - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and it trashes (Original monitors get lost and the new one's are unknown.  to fix had to remove and re-add the device) the first instance even though I have named them differently. 

Hopefully there is an easy soluton for this either being able to add mutliple SNMP polls to a single device (with different credentials because of the context field), or being able to add multiple devices (different names same IP).

I hope i'm missing something and this is possible.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

• Ok i'll /bump one more time hoping for some type of answer.

• Sorry for the delay in answering.  So you cannot add multiple duplicate IP's to NPM without them overriding each other right now. We have an enhancement to allow users to do this open in the system.  Can you not give each context an Admin IP like on a Cisco FWSM?

• I can give each context and Admin IP, although it would would be against our security practices.  The whole point of creating these different context's (for us) is to have one admin context to worry about that handles all of our admin work for the box leaving the other 3 context's to only do their jobs and lessen the security risks there as well.

With SNMPv3 supporting context's I would hope there is a better way.

This enhancement you speak of, could you please provide more information regarding that?

Thank you for your reply this has been a very frustrating issue as we lead into the last week before our site go live.

• Sorry been so frustrating.  So I am looking an this enhancement for multiple use cases.  For one is the context use case which is becoming more frequent these days in newer devices.  The other is for devices sitting behind a NAT or firewall that you want to monitor and you can give them a port number to communicate back and forth on, but the admin IP needs to be the same.

• As another way to support context's, would it ever be possible to have One device name with a "context" field to where it brings up sub sections in the page or under that device kind of like the applications in APM  where you have the main device and then the applications for that device listed on your page.

Just an idea. 

With the concepted fix as it is now per you bshopp, is there any idea as to when that will be available? Or, can you say if it will be a major release item or a patch/hotfix item?

Thanks

• Nothing I can commit to at this point in time unfortunantly 

• This is going to become a massive issue for our company and implementation of Orion.  We need to monitor various systems behind firewalls to a large number of client networks.  Because of our specific implementation, VPN tunnels would be out of the question.

PAT is the next logical solution, where we can have multiple ports configured to go to multiple servers and have them listening on their respective ports for SNMP traffic.  Unfortunately, as noted above, adding a host with the same IP as another confuses Orion, causing it to replace elements and add interfaces instead of creating seeing each as their own device.

Is there any time frame on such an update?  Also, if there's some sort of agent or proxy we can use on these systems in the meantime, that could be an apprpriate temporary solution.  Has anyone found any way to achieve the expected behavior out of Orion?  Thanks.

• I have this Cisco ACE 4710 that has 4 context's running on it.  We are currently running SNMPv3 so context's aren't really an issue.  The problem i'm having is in NPM I have the ACE device (LB1 - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) with no context field in it's snmp so I get basic system stats from the Admin Context.  I try to add another device (LB1-DMZ - IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and it trashes (Original monitors get lost and the new one's are unknown.  to fix had to remove and re-add the device) the first instance even though I have named them differently. 

Hopefully there is an easy soluton for this either being able to add mutliple SNMP polls to a single device (with different credentials because of the context field), or being able to add multiple devices (different names same IP).

I hope i'm missing something and this is possible.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I've solved this by polling an ip-address in each context. Each context is a new node i NPM.

How do you monitor your ACE? I've tryed to make my own custom poller, but i have problems with getting the right ServerFarm names exported to NPM. I'm only getting a bunch of numbers like this "1.24.83.65.80.45.75.85.78.68.69.80.79.82.84.65.76.45.80.84.69.83.84.45.83.70.9.83.80.87.69.66.67.52.49.48.80" per server.

• Regarding time frame, nothing I can commit to at this point in time