This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Difficulty Understanding Traps

After taking a bit of time with the traps that my Orion system is receiving I finally figured out what seemed to be missing, the traps don't have any explanations associated with them.

In the previous NMS systmes that I have worked with including the free ones, the traps had explanations as that information is stored in the MIB and therefore should be made available.

I am curious why Orion doesn't make this information available on their traps, it makes some of them almost impossible to understand unless I am just missing something.

Here is an example pretty much the same trap on two different systems...

ORION

snmpTrapEnterprise = CISCO-HSRP-MIB:cHsrpMIBNotificationPrefix
experimental.1057.1 = 10.10.10.10
cHsrpGrpStandbyState.11.106 = 5
snmpTrapOID = CISCO-HSRP-MIB:cHsrpStateChange
sysUpTime = 2158108441

OpenNMS

Cisco Event: HSRP State Change.

A cHsrpStateChange notification is sent when a cHsrpGrpStandbyState transitions to either active or standby state, or leaves active or standby state. There will be only one notification issued when the state change is from standby to active and vice versa.

cHsrpGrpStandbyState    1      initial(1) learn(2) listen(3) speak(4) standby(5) active(6)

As you can see I get much better information with OpenNMS.  Without the additional information the "cHsrpGrpStandbyState" number would mean nothing.  Is there some way to make this information from the MIB available in Orion as well?

• So, basically Orion isn't doing a MIB lookup.  Is there a way to get it to do that so I get more useful information on the traps?

• If you go into the Trap Viewer Win32 UI and go to File -> Settings and on the second tab choose displayed columns, if you add over some of the others, do you get what you needed.

• Nope, this doesn't give me what I need. 

I am pretty sure it just isn't doing a MIB lookup for the traps which is a real shame considering you guys do such a great job having all of the MIB's in the product as well as separating out the varbinds in the database.

Unfortunately without this additional information most traps are not very useful.  I know that HP alone has tons of traps that have a bunch of different values in the varbind that reference a status and without the MIB lookup to tell you what those status numbers represent you have no idea what it's telling you.

An example is the HP drive status array trap; it simply gives you a status number which could mean FAILED or could mean NORMAL.  Once of these is clearly a bad thing while the other isn't.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

gimmie some of this....  i am about to start doing lots with Traps in my NPM install... but have to admit, i have never done anything with it, so this is worrying....

• Please see .

Solarwinds Development is aware syslog/trap functionality is lacking.  Eventually things like pulling out individual varbinds, etc. are being added into product.  Cleaning up the main traps view to show cleaner messages instead of a listing of the varbinds is something I hope is part of those upgrades.  Its not listed on the link above but I hope is something they aren't happy with.  Like you said, other NMS apps, I personally used HP Network Node Manager and it would format the trap and display a user friendly message of what the error was.

• Hi Folks,

we have recently installed a new system that features detailed trap messaging which we would like to leverage. I know it's been 2 years since the original post on this topic and I read the associated link,  but has anyone found a way to leverage this sort of 'extra' detail in Orion?

Byrona have you submitted a feature request I can tag on to? 

Regards 

• Hi Folks,

we have recently installed a new system that features detailed trap messaging which we would like to leverage. I know it's been 2 years since the original post on this topic and I read the associated link,  but has anyone found a way to leverage this sort of 'extra' detail in Orion?

Byrona have you submitted a feature request I can tag on to? 

Regards 

I submit a lot of feature requests and don't recall specifically if I created one for this or not.  If there isn't one there definitely should be as it continues to be a rather large limitation of how Orion handles and displays traps.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to byrona

Cleaning up the main traps view to show cleaner messages instead of a listing of the varbinds. Maybe its just part of those upgrades you have done.