This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to add node with limited SNMP implementation

Alright, first of all the device is a Remote Monitoring System v1 (RMSv1) by EtherTek Circuits.  They do not have a MIB but the OID's it'll reply to can be found at: http://www.remotemonitoringsystems.ca/rms/snmp.php

What I would like to do is set some of those up in the Universal Device Poller.  The problem is, as you can see from the link, that the device does not support the sysObjectID OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2) which NPM seems to use to test credentials against.  So I can't successfully add the node in the first place to apply my custom pollers to.  I can add the node as ICMP only but the Universal Device Poller of course won't let me apply my custom pollers to that.

Tested from command line...

H:\>snmpget -v 1 -c public 172.19.11.227 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1
SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr = STRING: RMSv1 1.7.4

H:\>snmpget -v 1 -c public 172.19.11.227 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2
Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.

Is there anyway to get around this problem?

Thanks!

• I talked to Dev and here are a couple ideas:

You could set up net-snmp to proxy access to the EtherTek device. In the net-snmp config, have it return the bare-bones info like sysObjectID and proxy all the EtherTek-specific stuff.
    Or if you have APM, you could add the device to Orion as an ICMP node, then use APM to assign SNMP monitors.

• Thanks for bringing this up to dev. Unfortunately, we're not currently using APM.

I think for now I'll go back to RMC/EtherTek and see if they can get this OID implemented for us. I know they're concerned because the device is really just a small low voltage env. monitoring PLC that doesn't have a lot of room for additional code on it.

Should sysObjectID + the rest of those OID's be enough to get this node added or is there something else we should ask for as well?

Thanks again!
  • It all depends on what you want to monitor

• For now I just want to be able to add it as a SNMP node in NPM. Since there is no MIB most of what I want to monitor will be through universal device pollers anyway.