This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Avg and Peak Traffic Rate Report Issues. Has anyone experience this?

I created a report on report writer to show me the interfaces in a set of 9 switches who's average bps was higher than 50 Mbps. The report displays the average received, transmit bps and the peak received, transmit bps. I used the average and peak traffic rate report that comes with Orion. I just added my filters, I noticed that the values that Orion gives me for the average are exactly the same or almost the same as the peak value when summarizing for a day. When I look at the graph the data the report gives me doesn't match the graph.

This is the info I have in the report

Select Fields Tab

Node ID

Interface ID

Node Name sort ascending

Interface Caption sort ascending

Average Receive bps sort * function AVERAGE

Peak Receive bps sort * function MAX

Average Transmit bps sort * function AVERAGE

Peak Transmit bps sort * function MAX

(Almost the exact same information the canned report had)

Filter Results

Select records where all...

Select records where any...

Records where System Name contains ###### (specific tag number)

Records where System Name contains ######

Select records where any...

Records where Average Receive bps is greater than or equal to 50000000

Records where Average Transmit bps is greater than or equal to 50000000

Top XX

Show all records

Time Frame

Last 30 Days

Summarization

Summarize the Results by hour, date, month, etc (I selected Date and Beginning) I want one record per day so I expect to get an average for the whole day

Here is one of the results I got (edited for sensitive information)

DateNodeLocationInterfaceAverage
Receive bps
Peak
Receive bps
Average
Transmit bps
Peak
Transmit bps
9/21/2009  FastEthernet0/43 - Fa0/4398 Mbps98 Mbps2.12 Mbps2.12 Mbps
9/21/2009  FastEthernet0/45 - Fa0/451.25 Mbps1.25 Mbps58 Mbps58 Mbps
9/22/2009  FastEthernet0/38 - Fa0/3897 Mbps98 Mbps2.08 Mbps2.09 Mbps

Now when I look at the graph for the first row the actual average for that day was not 98 Mbps. The 98 Mbps was a one 5 min data point after 6:00 PM. If I export the data the graph shows and I calculate the average using all the 5 min data points the average for that day is almost .5 Mbps. Why am I getting 98 Mbps as the average? Is my expectation of the summarization option wrong? why?

I need this report to work so I can show a customer that he doesn't need Gigabit access layer switches. They are telling me that they need more bandwidth because the network is "slow"... their switch ports are "saturated". I'm telling them that their problem is probably the application that we need to troubleshoot the app but they don't want to listen. I told them that I would provide a bandwidth report to show them how much of the provided bandwidth they are using but I can not provide bad data.

Thanks for any help I can get.