This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Config Changes Report

1. I want to create a monthly overview of all the changes that are been made during the previous month. There is no option in the "config change report"-tab : you only can show changes over the past x days or select a time period between two dates. This means I cannot take this report into a schedule.

2. If I ask for a "changes" report, I don't want to see lines like "no changes" or "no configs to compare".

Maybe there is another way to generate this type of reports ?

Thanks for help,

Lex

• 1. I want to create a monthly overview of all the changes that are been made during the previous month. There is no option in the "config change report"-tab : you only can show changes over the past x days or select a time period between two dates. This means I cannot take this report into a schedule.

That's correct.   I agree, this is a good idea.   If there are others out there interested in this enhancement, please chime in.    For internal folks, this is being tracked as #4497

• This would be so beneficial for us and a great idea!

• Hi Chris,

It took me a while, but I think I found a solution. First I had to learn SQL to write my own script. Then I looked for help to integrate my query into a VBS-script. During my quest I discovered different obstacles to be taken : if you schedule backups of your devices for both running and starting configs then the standard 'config changes' report doesn't make a difference and lists all possible diffs he finds, mixing running and starup configs. At the end you don't have any clue about the origin of the reported changes. Then, when I got this sorted out, I saw that in the standard report, where you can only select a time period, forgets to mention the first change of that period ! I give an example : my selection = november 1. till november 30. and for a certain device I have 3 backups on october 27. , november 2. and november 28. In this case I see only the changes btwn nov 2. and nov 28. but NOT btwn oct 27. and nov 2. !

So finaly I have now a working VBS-script that can be scheduled and I think it can be usefull to others. Because we are only interested in the changes of our critical devices, I used the 'Asset Tag' in the NPM database (not available in NCM). That's why I had to JOIN the two databases to get my results. Simply rename the file to chconf.vbs and modify the coloured text.

Lex

• Hi Lex--

Thanks for sharing this information with the community. It's very helpful.

M