7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 9:04 AM by benchekroun

Network Atlas MAP appearance

Hi all,

We're monitoring some of our cisco 7600 routers with NPM, and we integrated them in same maps. our problem is that we have in each router one link going to the PE of the MPLS/Backbone. Since this PE is managed by the ISP, we can't integrate this link (from our 7600 router to the PE) in network atlas map, so the map's appearance will not change if this interface went down!!!

The problem is that this interface is the most important and we want the map to change color once this interface is down.

Note : the cisco router is integrated in a sub-map.

any help please.

• Re: Network Atlas MAP appearance
          michalB

Does this PE have any IP visible from your network?

Hi,

thanks first for your reply.

yes we do have ip visibility with those PE but just from the router himself.

the only problem is that we have an "out-of-band management", this means that our ORION station is connected to the O&M (management) network.

To simplify : each of our 7600 has two links (link 1 : E1 -2Mbps- for O&M;  link 2 : Fiber -1Gbps- for application's trafic).

So, from ORION Station (connected to O&M) you can't ping the IP adress for this MPLS link (from 7600 --- To PE).

I tried to add those PE as -icmp only- node but i couldn't because the IP adress was unrechable.

any idea please.

michalB

I am sorry I cannot help you with this. I asked few people around and nobody knows the answer. My guess is that if you cannot add the PE interface into Orion, you cannot put it into a map.

Hi,

thanks another time for your help.

So if it's not possible to add the PE, could the map appearance change because of an event (like ospf      adjacency with the MPLS PE?

for instance when the ospf neighboring with the PE is down, an event is generated and sended to ORION station, could this event change the

MAP appearance?

Sorry for disturbing

michalB

no problem :)

Maps get statuses only from objects (nodes, interfaces, maps, etc.) that are placed in them. Perhaps if you could change status of a node managed by Orion on this event...

michalB

there might be a possible, but complicated solution:

create an ICMP only node with IP address that is not reachable by ping. This node would be always down in Orion. You can set it to be "unmanaged" - this way the status of the node would never be updated by Orion poller. The Unmanaged status should be ignored by maps. That way a map with this node would be up or unknown.

Create a script that will turn off the unmanaged status on the node and run this script on the event you posted above. If the PE goes down, the script changes the unmanaged status to down, and the map will go red. When the PE goes up, change the node back to unmanaged.

I have not tested this, and I am not able to help you with writing the events and scripts, but this way it might work.