This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM Licensing - "Reserved" Issue.

Before I open a ticket I thought I'd check here first to see if there is a way to fix it.

I have IPAM with a 1000 IP license.  Imagine my shock when I ran out of licenses less than half way through setup.  We actually have about 200 IPs in use.. so what gives?!

Well... when I created several subnets with /30 blocks IPAM set the first and last IP of each block to Reserved consuming 2 licenses.  In fact for EVERY block I've created it sets the first and last IP as Reserved. These are IPs that are consuming licenses that are not even usable in the first place.  So, if I manage 100 class C's and buy a 1000 IP license you are actually only able to manage 800 IPs??  If you subnet further the picture gets even worse.  Obviously a flaw here.

So, now that I have all these many blocks with Reserved's in them... how can I export a single spreadsheet and set them all to Available?  When I tried I got a spreadsheet for each /30 block.  Not fun.

Ideas?

/RB

• Please open a support ticket and please reference this thread so we can look to see what we can to do assist you here

• I have noticed that when you add subnet this is happening and IPAM actually marks "network address" and "broadcast address" as RESERVED. To work this around and keep your license at the "clean" level I would advice just to remove these two addresses and monitor only "assignable" ones

• Any followup on this?  Maybe it's a feature request to have a new class that is auto configured (network reserved).

For anyone that is deploying lots of /30s and /29s this eats your allocation quickly, and when you create that many subnets, it's very impractical to manually change them all to unused.

• This has not changed in IPAM yet. This is one of the reasons why you get more IPs than you are really licensed for (ex: it is licensed for 1000 but you actually get 1024). Obviously, there are some situations where this "rounding up" is still insufficient and we are considering addressing this but have no immediate plans to change it.

Mav

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

WOW - I wish I would have seen this before I purchased emoticons_sad.png.... I have 2392 addresses I need to monitor so naturally I recommended and purchased a 4000 license. I don't even have 2/3 of the addresses in yet and the counter is over 3700 emoticons_shocked.png (including network and broadcast). Has anyone come up with an SQL script to remove the Network and Broadcast IPs???

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Here is the SQL script to list network and broadcast IP addresses from the database.

In theory, something similar could be used to remove them.

/* list records where the IP Address is a "network" or "broadcast" address */

select * from dbo.IPAM_Node n

join IPAM_Group g on (g.AddressN= n.IPAddressN ) or (g.AddressEnd= n.IPAddressN )

where  g.GroupType = 8

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I used this to remove about 1700 of 3700 records out of my 4000 license.

Just an example ... don't use unless you have a backup and know what you are doing.

Delete from dbo.IPAM_Node

Where Exists

(Select IPAM_Group.AddressN from IPAM_Group

where (IPAM_Group.AddressN= IPAM_Node.IPAddressN 

or IPAM_Group.AddressEnd= IPAM_Node.IPAddressN )

and IPAM_Group.GroupType = 8)

You may have to run for GroupType = 4 as well depending on your data.

• We have decided to change this behavior and you may try our IPAM Beta 2 to see that change. Network and broadcast addresses are not taken into license count anymore. Please feel free to try it and let us know if you are OK with current behavior.

thanks,

michal

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to michal.hrncirik

I'm not sure it matters now - I have already deleted them. Maybe if I have time later because I suppose I will have to restore the net/b'cast addresses to the database somehow.