17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 4:45 PM by christineb

Issues/Changes after ipMonitor v10 upgrade

jenlatham

I have just performed an in-place upgrade from ipMonitor v9.01 to v10.0.  After doing the upgrade, I did some work with the system and made the following observations:

• Previously, as I added devices, they would be added under My Network | All Managed Devices.  When I added a few systems after the upgrade to 10, they show up directly under My Network.  I have no option to move them to All Managed Devices (when I attempt to move them, I see my custom groups and do not see All Managed Devices).  I would prefer devices not appear at that top My Network level, if I had all those systems at the top level, it seems like it would be too much clutter.  What can I do about this?
      • As I added some new systems (non-Windows devices that I am mostly monitoring for a basic ping for up/down status), the ping monitors were added with a name of "PING".  Previously, the monitors would have the FQDN of the system followed by PING.  I prefer that behavior.  What can I do about this?

Thanks for any help,
      Jen

• Re: Issues/Changes after ipMonitor v10 upgrade
          mdiotte

Hi Jen,

How were you adding these new devices?  Add new device, Express Scan or the Scan Network?  The "All Managed devices" group is not a normal group which is why you can't move items to it but it should simply display all devices you have added.   If new devices are not showing up could you try restarting the ipMonitor Service and see if they show up afterwards? 

The default naming convention has been changed to not include the device name.  In turn we have added a"Parent Device" column to many of places where we display monitors.  In the Add New Device wizard you have the ability to choose a different naming convention format for the monitors in the Advanced settings or in the Scan network's case,  in the summary screen before it creates them.

Cheers!

Matt

jenlatham

I had added the devices one at a time with "Add New Device."  I see they now appear in My Network and All Managed Devices, so I will just be manually removing them from My Network now, it seems.

I will look around at the naming convention settings as I add new systems, thanks for the response.

Jen

simonpt

The change to the default monitor names (dropping device name) appears like a good move.  It certainly makes them easier to read.

When I originally set up our system I included device name at the front of each monitor name, but now that a device name column appears alongside the monitor name column in the "Monitor states for <device>" web resource, the monitor name column has been slimmed down and is truncated so we can no longer see what the monitor is.  So I've experimented with renaming some monitors to remove the device name.  Adding the %parentdevice% tag to our alerts helped make them more meaningful again, but I've found some other places where the parent device isn't displayed, so if you no longer have the device name embedded in the monitor name, you have no idea which actual monitor is being referred to.  Here are the problem areas I've found so far:

1. Monitor performance report.  An example report title is "Hour Report :: Monitor Processor Total CPU :: cpu".  There is no mention of the device anywhere on the report.
                2. Auto report email action.  Same as # 1.
                3. ipm.log.  Here's an example entry for the same CPU monitor: "2009-11-04 13:18:00 monitor test failed | critical(true) error(Both thresholds, last value and short term, have been exceeded; rtt: 15ms; usage: 100.00%; usage-avg: 99.79%) name(Processor Total CPU) type(cpu) id(2402140753760)".  Again, no mention of the device.

There are probably other places I haven't come across yet.  If anyone finds any, please add them to this thread.

Solarwinds, can these please be fixed sometime soon?  It's a good move to simplify the monitor names, but it needs to be properly supported throughout the entire product.

Thanks - Simon

simonpt

I'm now trying to do a Mass Edit to remove device names from our monitor names.  They are currently in the format "[device-name][instance][type]" and I want to change them to "instance type", eg. "[server.domain.com][Processor 1][CPU]" will become "Processor 1 CPU".  Changing the second "][" to a space and removing the trailing "]" is easy enough with multiple Mass Edit passes.  However, to remove the device name I need to use regular expressions in a Mass Edit sub-string replace.  The admin guide says regexs can be used in search and replace but doesn't give any details or examples.

I've tested a regex of "^\[.+\]\[" in a custom SmartGroup and it successfully enumerates to all monitors with a device name at the beginning which is enclosed in square brackets and has a trailing opening square bracket.  I've chosen this regex because it matches the string I want to eventually remove from the monitor name.

If I then do a mass edit, start with no monitors and add monitors where property Display Name matches regex "^\[.+\]\[", I get nothing in the preview.  So that seems like a bug; my regex works in a custom SmartGroup but not in Mass Edit.

Moving on, if I instead do a Mass Edit, starting with all monitors and replace Display Name by sub-string replace, replace "^\[.+\]\[" with "", the preview shows that no changes will be made.

Has anyone had experience with search and replace using regexs and can help me with this?

Thanks - Simon

simonpt

Found another place that doesn't display device names:

4.  SmartGroups that contain monitors.  Both when displaying them and when editing them and clicking preview.  For example:

Not very helpful, is it?

DDX

Would be nice to have an option to change back to the ipmonitor v9 style of creating new devices.

Now we have to change the naming format everytime we create a new device.

And remove the device from 'My Network'