6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 4:57 PM by kg18t

Slow web performance

I know this isn't a new topic.  But we've got quite a few people complaining about speed in 9.5..  even sp4 (which I'm on)  I've gone through every suggestion I can find, and still seeing no increase in performance without breaking something else.  My most painful pieces are the "All Nodes" list and the maps.  I can't help but wonder if this has something to do with the Database, which, while loading up in SW Database Manager takes just about as long...  I can open up the database, but every time I pull up a table, it takes a good 15-30 seconds, even for an empty table.  And the timeframe is about the same as it is to load the Node list and my maps.  I'm not running a great deal of information either.  About 200 nodes, a total of about 550-ish elements (including volumes and interfaces).

The system's running on a DL380-G3 with a pair of 3.06 dual core Xeons, and 4gig.  HD: RAID 5 of four 72gig 10k ULTRA3 drives.  (single 200gig partition for C drive)  The whole orion installation is on that box... and it's the only thing on the server.  (2003 r2sp2)  Memory and CPU are hardly taxed at all, and we have at max 4 people at a time viewing the website.  Total size of the database that orion is reading from is only 200meg.

Bad performances on Web server was a great bit of information, and it did amazing things for the speed of the Node List loading adding extra child procs... but broke the maps...  which I found the counter soultion for in Orion 9.5 SP4 - "an unexpected error has occured"? ...  and I'm right back to the same horribly slow load times.

Thanks.

• Re: Slow web performance

Yep, just dug through that.  Moved the database off to a sperate drive array, as well as the Inetpub directory.  And monitoring the R/W on that drive, there's not much activity.  However the read/write on C: is still maxing out.  So it's not the inetpub, and it's not the database.  What could possibly be eating up the R/W on C?  the /windows/temp files where the maps are stored?

ceige

Most likely your tempdb is still on c: try moving this off to another drive

Well, I moved SQL to the other drive entirely, .exe and all.  The reads are faster, but there's still quite a lag... (investing in a write cache shortly).  I'm noticing that when I do a refresh, the lag looks to be caused by a heavy disk write load, and when I see the read load jump, is when I start seeing the info pop up on the browser.  I've been grasping at straws for why it does this, but I guess we'll see what happens after I get a write cache enabler for the 5i controller in the box.

ceige

No really... check the location of your tempdb and move it off c: if that is where it still is.  Then check if the new location is getting hit hard.  Here is the query to move it.  Just put the location you want it to be in there.  Just make sure the location you specify can be written to since MSSQL must create those files to start.

USE master
                        GO
                        ALTER DATABASE tempdb
                             MODIFY FILE (NAME = tempdev, FILENAME = 'D:\tempdb2005.mdf')
                        GO
                        ALTER DATABASE tempdb
                             MODIFY FILE (NAME = templog, FILENAME = 'D:\tempdb2005.ldf')
                        GO

Well, finally got my BBWC enabler.  The TempDB is definitely on my new logical drive of a pair of 18gig 15k u320's.  The disk time is no longer maxing out, but it still takes 10-20 seconds for the nodes list and maps to come up.