This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco AP1240's not showing up in Wireless

Hello all,

We are running NPM 9.5 SP5, and added a couple of Cisco AP's to NPM. They all are 1240's, and seen correctly in NPM. However, under Wireless they do not show up at all, and I am wondering why that is. I searched the forums but did not find a similar case yet, so that's why I am asking here.

Point is they are running in a customer's LAN, and only ICMP and SNMP are allowed in the tunnel to that location. For NPM, that is enough, but maybe the Wireless module needs more connectivity.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Regards, Rene

• If NPM can see it and it has SNMP access, the 1240 is a thick/autonomous AP right?  Can you confirm if it supports the 802.11 MIB?

• Hi Brandon,

This is what NPM says:

Node StatusNode status is Up. Node status is Up. 
     IP Address  192.168.43.201 
     Dynamic IP No 
     Machine Type Cisco AIR AP 1240 
     DNS AP01 
     System Name AP01 
     Description Cisco IOS Software, C1240 Software (C1240-K9W7-M), Version 12.3(8)JEA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) Technical Support: www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Wed 23-Aug-06 16:45 by kellythw 
     Location orchids4all.lan 
     Contact   
     Last Boot Thursday, October 01, 2009 1:02 AM 
     Operating System 12.3(8)JEA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) 
     IOS Image C1240-K9W7-M 
     Hardware Physical 
     Telnet telnet://192.168.43.201
     Web Browse http://192.168.43.201

It does not mention anything about the device being any type of AP... :)

Maybe stupid question, but how can I tell if the device supports the 802.11 MIB?

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Rene

• Do you have a MIB Browser, like in our Toolset?  1.2.840.10036 is the OID for this MIB you can try it against it

• I have used MIB-Walk from the Toolset to walk the MIBs and determine the support MIBs, but unfortunately the 802.11MIB is not there.

Here's what IS supported: AirPair-MIB, BLC, BRIDGE-MIB, CISCOTRAP-MIB, END, ENTITY-MIB, EtherLike-MIB, Ethernet-MIB, IF-MIB, IP-MIB, OLD-CISCO-SYS-MIB, OLD-CISCO-SYSTEM-MIB, OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB, RFC1213 and SNMPv2-MIB.

Isn't it strange that an AP from Cisco does not support the 802.11MIB? And if it doesn't, can I upgrade the IOS or so?

Hope this helps, regards,

Rene

• Yes, the next step is to check for an updated IOS that does support the 802.11 MIB.