7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 8:23 AM by bshopp

ipmonitor support portal

laffen

Hi, I have been an on/off user since IPmonitor v6 and the old support.ipmonitor.com portal was one of the best technical resources I have been. By techs for techs with good quality guides, howtos, tips that covered just about anything.

I can understand that the old layout does not fit into solarwinds support website, which has some basic info for ipmonitor but lacking compared to the old portall. Are there any serious plans to migrate and update the information or to start updating the old portal?

• Re: ipmonitor support portal
          bshopp

Can you be a little more specific please?  What information could you used to access that you cannot now?

laffen

This is what I found on the new support portal, please correct me if I have missed something.

Documentation -> ipMonitor: datasheet, quick start guide, manuals, release notes

Tutorials -> nothing related to ipMonitor

Knowledge base -> approx 60 articles

Compare this to the content of the old portal, especially the tutorials/FAQs/tips section. The old portal has more articles, they are more in-depth and technical, by techs for techs. It also have a section where different small useful scripts are put for the user.

The administrator guide is a HTML document with a good layout on the old portal, a large PDF file on the new portal. I preferred the HTML version, easier to find what I was searching for and also more intuitive to browse when I just want to look for new features.

I can understand the decision to move the support pages into the general Solarwinds portal, but for me as an ipMonitor admin it is a step back for it being a source of good, detailed, in-depth technical documentation for ipMonitor. Just my 0.2€.

Hi laffen

Enjoyed the 0.2 Euros remark ;-)

I did some searching for you. Are you familiar with the Content Exchange on thwack? It has many useful scripts and templates that you can use.

Also, I'll ask Information Development about an HTML version of the latest IPMonitor admin guide.

HTH,

M

laffen

Thanks for the tip about the Content Exchange, but its an example of how fragmented the ipMonitor support has become. Perhaps it should be linked to in the official support portal?

It would be great if a HTML version of the admin guide could be added together with the PDF version, preferably in the same user-friendly layout as the old HTML version. But the overall picture is still not a big plus for Solarwinds if one compares the technical resources of the old supportsite compared to the current one. It would be great if the same level of dedication and technical in-depth coverage could be continued.

bshopp

We left the old support.ipmonitor.com portal intact, you can log into it as guest to access alot of the old data, but to do day to day stuff like submit tickets or download software etc. you have to go to the sw.com support portal

The most infuriating thing for me is the constant asking for my username and password every time I want to do the most basic thing.

Such as - today I wanted to update my MIBs, I was asked for my login - normal enough, and as I don't usually carry round my SW passwords in my head, I ticked the 'remember me' box.

during the MIB process, it must have asked me at every step to reinput my name and password - so much so that I gave up and will do it when I am not so busy (not so busy that I cant have a moan on here, though :))

Please someone at SW, fix this - it is most annoying.