This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How Far Along is my Database Maintenance?

I believe NPM does some daily maintenance, and the time it does it can be set under Admin\Polling Settings\Database Settings.  There's also a button labeled "Perform Maintenance Now". I clicked this hours ago and it seems like the SQL server is still very busy with an average read queue length of about 50 (normally around 10 or less). 

How do I know how far along the maintenance task is? Is there some way I can stop it nicely without corrupting the database or having to restart the poller?

Thanks,

Swack

• Please open a support ticket and they can help you with a known database maintenance issue that some customers experience.

John Taylor

• I opened ticket 120756 "Database Maintenance - Runaway SQL Job" and received 4 SQL files to run against the database. I'm on the 3rd one now, and this one I'm told "takes hours".  :-)  Once this is done, I'll run the 4th and then I was told to re-run standard Orion maintenance.

Fingers are crossed!

• How far along the maintenance task is? I solved this by asking an SQL guy to add few lines of code into the script. That code simply added a line of some text in some text file. By monitoring the size of the file I was able to track the progress. Not very elegant, but it provided the peace of mind I needed when maintenance was taking very long time: I knew that there is progress and that I won't wait forever.

• filipv,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Can you find out what lines of code and what script? I'd like to try the same thing and I have direct access to manage the SQL database with SQL Server Management Studio.

Swack

• From Solarwinds Support:

Go to: <installed drive>:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion

and open the file called:
    swdebugMaintenance.log

Scroll all the way to the bottom and if you see "Database Maintenance Complete", then it finished.

I assume you should be able to "tail" the logfile to see how far along the maintenance is.