This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Asset Inventory, new device alerts

Does the Engineers Toolset (10.3) have the capability to do an Asset inventory scan baseline (poll SNMP from switches and routers for Mac/ARP, do reverse DNS for name, for a specified period of time), and then run a continuous scan and compare against this baseline. Then send an alert (email, Syslog, SNMP trap) if a new device is discovered.

Also the ability to "add" the new device, or a way to either automatically shut down the device access, or get access to the device (switch/router) it is attached to for manual shut down.

How are others doing this type of monitoring?

Russ

• rlsmith999 - Although the Toolset has some discovery capabilities, baseline + alert on inventory changes is not really within the scope of the Toolset (which is more of a realtime diagnostic and troubleshooting too), you may want to have a gander at our LanSurveyor product...

HTH,

Greg

• I am evaluating that product (a little pricey if you add in the Responders).

It does not quite do what I want. Although it does scan, create a baseline, and report "changes", it scans through ALL the subnet ranges that are discovered.

What I would REALLY like to find is a product that can pull/poll the SNMP information from the Routers and Switches, correlate that information with the "Baseline", and report on any changes (New device on a switch port, etc.)

I would think that this would not be hard to do, all the basic information is in these devices... That would lower the scan from over 100,000 "nodes" or IP addresses, to approximately 200 Routers/Switches on our network.

This would allow us to scan at a 5-10 minute interval rather than a 5-10 HOUR interval, more of a "real-time" check of our network.

Russ