10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 12:17 AM by mleinio

Syslog performance via the web console.

jkennedy

I have performance issues when accessing syslog messages from the web console. If I perform a search in the Syslog viewer it is extremly fast. However using the syslog view on the web console is painfully slow. Has anyone found a work around or way to improve this.

My database server is dedicated to only Solarwinds. It is a Windows 2k3 server running 64 bit version of Windows and 64 bit version of SQL 2005 Enterprise edition. The hardware is dual quad core xeons with 16GB of ram and an HP EVA SAN for storage. I do not this my SQL server is the issue. The syslog table in my DB is about 3.6GB for 180 days worth of Syslog messages.

• Re: Syslog performance via the web console.
          bshopp

What version do you currently have installed and running?

jkennedy

We are running Orion NPM SLX ver 9.5 SP4.

bshopp

Another option to look at to distribute the load is to use our Kiwi Syslog server and you can then archive those off for your auditing purposes and then forward to Orion NPM just the critical Syslog messages.  Is this something that would be feasible?

jkennedy

I don't think that is a very viable work around. I already get enough complaints from my users. It would only increase if they were required to look in two different data stores.

This is something Orion should be able to handle. We have over 100k invested in our Solarwinds infrastructure and syslog should not be this slow. There is a huge difference between the actual syslog viewer and the syslog view in the web console. I think the main problem lies in the web console.

bshopp

jkennedy, agree, my post was not meant to be a fix, but more of another potential option customers have used to help them, especially on the DB side when you are sending a decent amount of Syslog.

We are looking at how to make performance better on the web console.   We have ID's a few potential areas we can add some improvements.

You who complain the Syslog page is slow, how are your Events pages loading?

I mean, for us, since updating from 9.1SP4 to 9.5SP2 our Events page has been taking about 40 seconds to load.

Support asked us to update to SP3, we did, it didn't help. Then SP4 came out, again the same request, now we haven't been able to update to SP4 yet.

We are preparing the SP4 update but meanwhile I'd like to have other experiences about the Events page loading speed.

Markku

jkennedy

We have 9.5 SP4 installed and we still have performance issues with syslog. I do not think this was something addressed in SP4 or SP5.

jkennedy

My events page loads in about 23 seconds. We do not use the events view often so I do not know how it performs at different service pack levels.  What does your setup look like? Are you using a separate server for your database? 

Database server is separately installed, with no indications that there is any overload going on. Two pollers, 7000+7000 elements.

What is most notable that the Events page takes always the same time regardless of the filter (time period, number of events), and the Last 250 events report takes just a couple of seconds.

From my point of view this has something to do with the insanely large VIEWSTATE variable in the Events page html code. For example, right now the whole html resultant page is 1300 kB, of which 670 kB is just pure VIEWSTATE variable content, like:

input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE" value="/wEPDwUJLTMzMDUxMjM0DxYGHh ... and this goes on 670 kB"

Of course the normal html content (the event listing etc) is still there, but in this example HALF of the html page is just "rubbish". (Note also that I don't mean that the slowness is caused by the browser loading speed, I just think that the server is just doing something totally irrelevant.)

I have submitted this to support desk but I haven't had any information about that.

Markku

smcdonald

I see the same performance issue with the Syslog resource on the website.  The local Syslog viewer however is very fast - I dont think this is related to the database performance - my "Last XX Syslog msgs" resource on the nodes comes up instantly - seems something more related to the Main Syslog page and how it works.

Speed dropped somewhere along the road with v9 (v8 was much faster).  I brought this up previously I think in another post and while chatting with support earlier this year but havn't really seen any improvements...