33 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2014 4:34 AM by noy perets

Service-Now

r0berth1

How do you integrate SolarWinds Orion 9.5 SP4 with Service-Now? this is a project that is on the horizon and i need some help or ideas on it.

• Re: Service-Now
          r0berth1

How can I integrate SolarWinds Orion 10 with Service-Now?

bshopp

Can you provide some more guidance on what specifically you are looking to do?

r0berth1

I will need for Orion to be able to open incidents in Service-Now when a circuit goes down. I am not sure how to set this up other than creating an alert that sends an e-mail to service-now every time the circuit drops.

dfairles

We also use service-now.  They have a web service API, and you can also create a ticket via email.

I haven't done it yet, so if anyone has, that would be great for us too.

bshopp

There are other alert actions besides sending an email you can do.  We don't have integration native though.

sokam

Hi bshopp

Just checking whether you now a Solarwind native intergration with ServiceNow ticketing system.

Any suggestions about how other customers have done it will be appreciated. But preferably if it can be done without using email to generate the tickets.

Thanks

cskowronek

Hello,

We are in the beginning process of implementing Service-Now in our organization and I have been asked integrate SN with SW.  I see there are a few people that have inquired about this already, however, there does not seem to be anyone that has done anything in terms of integration.

We have some time with a consultant that is going to assist with this process from a SN perspective, is there a SW person that I can speak with that may assist with this process?  

Thanks!

Chuck

sokam

Hi r0berth1,

We also use ServiceNow and was wondering if you can please share your findings on using Orion to open Incidents in ServiceNow.

Thanks

brew1forme

This actually pretty simple. Use a free command line tool called cURL to open an incident using the ServiceNow API. You will need an account that has the rest_service role in your ServiceNow instance.

Install cURL on your Solarwinds server. In Alert Manager, create a trigger action to "execute an external application" (which is cURL)

Example: (note that I had to escape the quotations because it's running on Windows)

c:\pathto\curl.exe -X POST -H "Accept: application/json" -H "Authorization: Basic your-encoded-auth-hash" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d "{\"short_description\":'${NodeName} is ${Status}!!!!',\"comments\":'${NodeDetailsURL}',\"opened_by\":\"Solarwinds\",\"assignment_group\":\"network\",\"impact\":\"1\",\"urgency\":\"1\"}" https://yourinstance.service-now.com/api/now/v1/table/incident"

Use this wiki site for REST reference  http://wiki.servicenow.com/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_REST

popearce

I work for Orange Business Services. We are a partner of ServiceNow and have created a managed service offering that is based on Solarwinds and ServiceNow. I hope to share our solution the community at the ServiceNow conference, Knowledge 12, this May. If you are interested, please reply to this post and I would be happy to send you an invitation.

jbiggley

We are actively exploring the idea of using SOAP to connect our SolarWinds Orion and ServiceNow instances together.  We had explored using emails, but decided that this was a fall-back approach if the SOAP puts were too complex.  The question we are currently exploring is whether we need to have any sort of middleware (I've heard netcool mentioned previously) to interpret events and alerts into the XML required for the SOAP put.

I know that SolarWinds does not specifically provide support for the API, but I'm going to try and weasel some time with an engineer to talk about the process at a high level before engaging our development team.  I'll let you know how things work out on our end.

jbiggley

Alexander -- unfortunately we discontinued the ServiceNow project, although we had gotten to the point where we were able to directly send alerts from SolarWinds to ServiceNow.  I'll have to dig up my notes to remember where we left off last year, but there was kind of a 'Eureka' moment.  It is one of the pre-sales engineers who helped us discover the process.  I can say that we were able to avoid using transforms with emails and that it was a direct process -- but I don't remember the details off the top of my head.

alexander937

Anything you can dig up will be very helpful and greatly appreciated.  Sorry to here you discontinued the SN project.

mgibson

Jbiggley, were you able to find your notes?  Thanks

cnanda

Good evening!

My name is Chris Nanda, with Blue Horizon Systems.  We have actually accomplished an Orion NPM integration in the past using a custom executable which would fire from an alert in NPM.

We too were originally informed the Perl script would work, but looking farther since NPM is a Windows based monitoring tool, getting Perl up and running VS an executable that would send the data to ServiceNow was a much simpler and more stable integration.

We are currently working on a more robust integration, and are always looking for input on how customers of the products we build integrations for (such as SW Orion NPM) are using the products, and where we can expand our knowledge and view to better encompass your usage.

We are also the company that ServiceNow reached out too to build the new SCOM connector for SCOM 2012.  We have a number of years of experience in ServiceNow development, especially around integrating with other systems.  If any of you are interested, we would love to hear what your use cases are for our integration that is in development and if your interested in the solution we already have built, we can definitely discuss that as well.

Our website is www.bluehorizonsystems.com, and we work very closely with ServiceNow's development team to build turn key integrations.

Thanks and I hope everyone had a good holiday!

daveb7114

CNada/All,

Try a company called Ayehu. They have an interesting middleware tool that uses workflows to create incidents, change, etc in Service-Now from alerts in SolarWinds.

samsonsf

I recently viewed the Ayehu demo as well as one by Evanios. The products have different strengths, but both seem capable of improving the integration process.

I plan to move forward setting up a POC for both as well as exploring the SolarWinds SDK and the ServiceNow open integrations.

I'd be grateful to hear of any success stories, pitfalls, best practices and any other comments or details.

RichardLetts

We went live with our Service-Now implementation almost a month ago...

NPM sends the Configuration-item, and some associated information in a http-post and a script picks that up to creates (or re-opened a resolved) incident record

I only own the NPM piece, and the person owning the service-now portion felt comfortable enough to write their own code, so I left them to it.

samsonsf

Richard, thank you for your reply.

Are you able to share more details?

For instance, how are each parts coded?

Did the ServiceNow admin create a custom form to initially stage the data?

Did they build in any flood control?

Anything else?

RichardLetts

like I said, I only manage the NPM piece; the service-now piece is coded by someone else in javascript.

I use custom SQL for the alert like this:

WHERE

(

(Nodes.Status = '2') AND

(Nodes.isLab = 0)

) AND

(select count (*) from Nodes n2 where n2.Status = '2' AND n2.isLab = 0) < 100

so we only create more node down alerts once we have less than 100 nodes down... (i.e. ~1% of our network)

if you PM me your contact details I can put you in touch with our Service now admin.

/RjL

noy perets

You can integrate Solarwinds with ServiceNow in the time it takes you to finish your morning coffee using eyeShare from Ayehu:

Ayehu eyeShare integrates with Solarwinds Orion