2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 4:15 PM by matcor9925

trigger condition operators

matcor9925

All,

I wrote a trigger condition that I thought was working OK until I received an unexpected alert. I expected the following alert to ONLY trigger if (a) Serial1 on router1 reaches 75% utilization or (b) Serial2 on router2 reaches 75% utilization. This recently triggered an alert for router5 Serial1 when it reached 75% utilization. It appears that if Serial1 or Serial2 on ANY router hits 75% utilization, the alert will trigger. What am I doing wrong. Can anyone explain the different trigger operators- ALL, ANY, NONE, NOT ALL? Thanks for viewing!

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply

Xmit Percent Utilization is equal to 75

Trigger Alert when any of the following apply

Node Name is equal to router1

Interface Name is equal to Serial1

Node Name is equal to router2

Interface Name is equal to Serial2

• Re: trigger condition operators

I usually think of it this way.  All creates an AND condition and Any creates an OR condition.  So if you have a trigger that says.

Trigger Alert when ALL of the following apply
             NodeName is equal to AAAAAA
             InterfaceName is equal to BBBBBB

This can be read as NodeName = AAAAAA AND IntefaceName = BBBBBB (meaning both conditions must match)

If you have the same trigger with Any instead of ALL

Trigger Alert when ANY of the following apply
             NodeName is equal to AAAAAA
             InterfaceName is equal to BBBBBB

This would be read as NodeName = AAAAAA OR InterfaceName = BBBBBB (meaning only one of the conditions has to match)

Below is a screen shot showing one way you could configure this trigger condition.  One thing to note, in your example you are specifying the Xmit Percent Utilization equal to 75.  This means that the transmit percent utilization must be exactly 75 in order for the trigger to fire.  If you are looking for an alert when the transmit utilization is 75 or above, then you will need to specify Xmit Percent Utilization greater than 74.