3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 11:43 AM by MarieB

Trap Viewer Filter Condition for all traps

michaelbloom

Hi,

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with the trap not matching what the documentation says it should so I want to have all traps from a specific ip address go to a file.  I cannot figure out what the correct condition rule would be to allow for any  trap recieved. Does anyone know what that would be?

thanks,

michael

• Re: Trap Viewer Filter Condition for all traps

Hi Michael--

I'm a little murky on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to create a single log file for all traps from a given IP address?

Could you verify this and I'll get right back to you with some info.

Many thanks,

M

• Re: Trap Viewer Filter Condition for all traps
            michaelbloom

HI Marie,

I want to see all the traps that a particular source ip address sends.  I need to troubleshoot why I can't get a particular filter to work for the NCM but in general this would be a good thing to know.  What I have figured out so far is that I can do a filter based on picking something that would be unlikely to happen and have the rule say "where none of the following are true".  But what I have found is that if I do a packet capture on the trap server, I am getting traps from the ip in question that are not being picked up by the rule so the trap viewer is not seeing them. (i am having the action be to put the matched traps into a file and then tailing the file).   I am seeing all sorts of strange traps in the packet capture that I do not understand the cause of.  But things do not match what the manual says should be happening so I need to see all the traps to figure out the correct rules to use to match what is really happening.

I hope that made sense.

thanks,

michael