10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 4:43 PM by mtxpert

Importing Subnet Data

Hi,

We own several class B networks, and are responsible for tracking allocations of subnets to our various business units.  Most do not have any hosts within them that we track, although we may start to do this in the future.

We have the subnet data in an Oracle Database, the subnets are in a single field in CIDR notation. so x.x.x.x/32 for example. 

I have no issue splitting out the subnet bit, and/or converting it to decimal 255.255.255.x format. 

However when I attempt to import the data as an xls file, I noticed nowhere is there a field for subnet-mask?

Could someone explain to me how to import this subnet data, without any accompanying hosts in the data set?

Thanks very much

-Chris

• Re: Importing Subnet Data
          Peter.Cooper

Hello Chris,

The import feature reads in IP addresses from spreadsheets, and then tacks on a workflow to add the subnets from the IPs imported.

How many individual subnets are you bringing into IPAM?

Jodie

Is it possible to discover subnets using seed router(s)?  I am not seeing that feature in the documentation at all. 

I see where I can do a network discovery using a seed router and it actually picks up a bunch of subnet from that router during the setup for discovery of the hosts.

Jodie.

bshopp

No, not from IPAM, you cannot currently do this.  This is an item we have on the roadmap for a future release

Jodie

No, not from IPAM, you cannot currently do this.  This is an item we have on the roadmap for a future release

So essentially, I will have to manually add my subnets.  That means that if and when I create new subnets, the IPAM will have to be manually updated.  Is that the case? 

We manage a relatively large network and if the software does not automatically discover new nets then what is the point?  Any idea on how soon before that feature becomes available?

bshopp

What are you using today for IP Address Management?  What would you be importing from?  How many subnets do you have?

So couple things:

1. We can import from the IP Address Management in toolset
                        2. See this thread If you're curious as to what we're working on...  

Jodie

bshopp,

We are currently using a number of disjoint Excel worksheets to manage a number of class C and smaller provate subnets as well as a couple of public blocks.  That is why we are looking for an IPAM solution.

We are currently managing /16 supernet (private) with about a dozen /24 nets and even more smaller subnets.  We are evaulating a number of IPAM solutions including the Solarwinds product and automatic discovery is an important feature since you open yourself up to problems depending on someone to add the information to a database after they have created a subnet and handling the actual work associated with routing of the new subnet.

bshopp

So I will answer your question in two parts.

#1 - as a workaround till we get further functionality in the product you can import your existing subnets into our free IP Address Tracker tool and then import that into IPAM.  Not ideal, just trying to work with what we have today.

#2 - If part of your process of adding a new subnet is to add a new scope to your DHCP server, per my what we are working on link, we will create that subnet if it does not exist.

Jodie

So I will answer your question in two parts.

#1 - as a workaround till we get further functionality in the product you can import your existing subnets into our free IP Address Tracker tool and then import that into IPAM.  Not ideal, just trying to work with what we have today.

#2 - If part of your process of adding a new subnet is to add a new scope to your DHCP server, per my what we are working on link, we will create that subnet if it does not exist.

We do not use DHCP for those purposes at all.  The DHCP scopes are defined and set and are not normally adjusted.  The vast majority of the time we add subnets does not involve any DHCP configuration.  Most of our applications require static IPs and we only use DHCP on the general office nets.

Any idea of the timeline for this new feature to be added? 

bshopp

Nothing I can openly commit to at this point in time.  You saw my other post of what we are currently working on.  When we finish that I will update with the next set of items we are working on.

mtxpert

In order to import our 500+ subnet ranges into IPAM I did the following:

1. Show all of the routes from our core router (we don't summarize currently) and put it into an advanced text editor (I use text pad)

2. Use regular expressions to remove all the extraneous text and just give me the subnets in a / notation

3. Take that column of data and put it into Excel

4. Split the IP with the / notation by splitting on the / as a delimiter

5. Use a macro to replace the vairous / notations into subnet masks (/24 = 255.255.255.0 etc)

6. Import that spreadsheet into the IP tool in the engineers toolset.

7. Import the engineer toolset IP tool db into IPAM

PHEW!!!!