This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I monitor servers and switches behind a firewall of another company with my NPM server?

Hi Folks,

I do consulting for a couple of companies and I would like to know how I could use NPM to monitor servers and switches at this site that are behind firewalls.

Here's a scenario.

My company has a solarwinds NPM server at my location behind firewall monitoring all of my devices.  I'd like to be able to monitor another company on the internet and it's devices behind their firewall with my solarwinds server.  I have access to their firewall and can configure rules and so forth.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Rick

• I am doing a similar thing.  To my knoledge you really have 2 options, first is to do a site to site VPN, the second is to have enough external IP addresses at the client site (one for each monitored device) and apply NAT.  Keep in mind that only SNMP v3 has security and that any none tunnelled traffic will not be encrypted if you use the 2nd method and SNMP v2 or lower.

• One other option would be to become a Solarwinds reseller, sell each company their own Orion installation, install the EOC at your company, create site to site VPN tunnels between your site and your customers' sites and monitor all of the sites via the EOC.  Ideally, you would charge each customer a monthly monitoring fee for this service.  And yes, I used to be a consultant!:)