3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2009 12:46 AM by michalB

Orion Network Map

T K

I am running 9.5 SP3 and using network atlas to make a map with nested objects.  I have a "building" that has multiple devices in it.  When a nested device that has interface(s) go down the device icon shows the flashing red "bar" but the "building" stays green, not reflecting any issue within the "building".  For some locations I need to know when interfaces go down not just an entire device.

I have "include child status" checked and have tried both "show mixed status and show worst status" with no change.

• Re: Orion Network Map
          michalB

Status of a node on a map has two values: node status and child status. The child status is displayed as the small "dot" in the bottom right corner of the node. The child status does not influence the overall status of the map in which the node is, the main status does.

If you want an interface status to influence map status, you need to add the interface as a new map node into the map.

T K

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Shouldn't the child status change on the parent though if one or more of the children have down interfaces?  We aren't seeing that happen which makes the maps functionality very limited.

michalB

if one or more interfaces (or other child objects, such as volumes, or applications) is down, it is displayed as the small dot. It is displayed only if the "Show child status" is enabled on the map node. Since it is displayed as the dot, it does not affect the actual "main" status of the node.