7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2009 9:21 AM by msheehan77

Mobile Phone Poll

Hi folks,

Please take a moment and help us understand which mobile phones you use.

Thanks in advance,
      Nick

[POLL]

• Re: Mobile Phone Poll

We use a mix of Symbion and blackberry, so i selected other.

acherman

I tried to vote for approx. 45 Blackberries, but the button wouldn't work.  ;-)

0% Palm- ouch

Some Blackberry Info: Our ITS department just upgraded the whole team to Blackberry Storms (Verizon gave us excellent price, cheaper than other models). Many of the Alerts that are generated by third party products usually ends up being unreadable on Storms.  At least that's what our team has seen.

We had to upgrade a lot of our alerts systems to get proper formatting for the Storm.

acherman

0% Palm- ouch

Some Blackberry Info: Our ITS department just upgraded the whole team to Blackberry Storms (Verizon gave us excellent price, cheaper than other models). Many of the Alerts that are generated by third party products usually ends up being unreadable on Storms.  At least that's what our team has seen.

We had to upgrade a lot of our alerts systems to get proper formatting for the Storm.

Interesting.  Most of our BBes are Storms on the Telus network.  We use Orion for all of our network monitoring and alerts and Adroit for our physical site monitoring and never have any problems with message formatting.  What issues do you see?  Sorry to hijack the thread...

I have moved this discussion about BB messages over to another thread.  Also please comment on experiences of alerts on different phones with different systems.

As I am new to this Forum I was uncertain the location for the new thread.  I moved it to GENERAL NETWORK MANAGEMENT

New Thread Location:

Alert Messages on PhoneS, Smartphones, PDAs, Blackberries & iPhones

Thanks

To get back to the topic:

In the past my company deployed the cheapest phones our carrier had available. This meant usually Nokia phones with Symbian. However, our CEO fell in love with the iPhone and now iPhones are slowly introduced. Key personal like team leaders already got one, but the goal is to give one to every employee.

THis also means that I as IT guy will eventually get one. Being able to watch my network and the onces of our customers remotely would really be an improvement. At the monent we already using short messages sent to the mobile of the admin on call.

The managing Director of IT at my company has an iPhone.  He stated that he would not allow the iPhone to be intergrated into the company's infrastructure due to the support burden it was to give the IT Teams. This was originally before a lot of the patches for Exchange Email was done to the iPhone of course.

Our Verizon contracts would have been another factor.

I think the carrier has more to do with Mobile Phones for Corp companies than the technology does. At least in the US.  I am in Boston and Verizon rules the world up here.  They also agree to huge company contracts, including home phone deals.

What I am saying: I dont think you can have a conversation about what mobile phones people us for Alerting in the US without discussing what network they are on.  People are restricted to certain phones because of the company has a contract with a network provider