2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2009 10:17 AM by jp

Bug Report: Node Import tool truncates system name discovery from SNMP

jp

example - IT2511a-LAB-sitename.west.int.site.com is imported and truncated as IT2511a-LAB-sitename.west.int.sit   -- it's stripping a few characters.

I imported a few dozen nodes - and thusly they're all broken.  The system manager in 9.5 won't let me update it, so I get to use the bastardized slow web interface to update these one by one. (*#!$)

-No, I'm not going to open a support ticket for this. =/

*Grumble*

• Re: Bug Report: Node Import tool truncates system name discovery from SNMP
          bshopp

I will open a defect around this item and associate you to it.  Would it be possible to have you send me the diagnostics so I can attach them to the defect for the Dev guys to track down the issue?

So you may want to try this, I cannot guarentee it would work, but might be a workaround.  With 9.5 we changed the discovery engine, however, still ship with the old discovery engine which you can navigate to the exe and run manually.  Mine is here and called netperfmondiscovery.exe (C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion).  Importing from here may not truncate the hostname.

Also, not sure if you are on SP4 or not, but with SP4 we made some tweaks to web node management to increase performance which have received good feedback on, there is another thread on this is you want to see it.