This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Netflow IP address group to IP address group

Hi,

Is it possible to build a filter group on NTA to perform IP address group to IP address group graph?

Regards,

Z.

• Hi,

I have to disappoint you and say no, this is not possible (yet).

thanks

• OK thanks for the quick response.... I hope yet isn't too far away :)

Z.

• To help us prioritize, can you elaborate a little more on the use-case for this requirement?  What data points are you hoping visualize in the graph?

For internal folks, this is being tracked as #3032

• Chris,

No problem I appreciate your help with this. We have a small WAN over MPLS so we would like to be able to do site to site usage statisics especially when we have 1000's of new users at a site creating WAN traffic on top of what we already have. This will help with capacity planning, QoS, local servers, or other solutions.

Using IP groups in NTA was a start but using the filter I could do an IP group to specific IP address but not another IP group. Also, being able to group IP groups into a site would be useful too. We don't have contiguous ranges at each site so we would have multiple IP groups per site and if we could then group them together to form a site group that would be perfect. There maybe other ways to do this but we get our NTA stats from the Riverbeds at each site.

If there is a better way of doing this please let me know.

Thanks,

Z.

• Good news here.  We're working on enhanced IP groups as we speak.   You'll be able to enter an IP address, IP address range, or a combination of IPs and IP address ranges (similar to how you can do the same for ports when defining applications).

We've got some mockups and I'd like to have a brief call with you to walk through what we're thinking if you're amenable.

• Chris,

I am happy to help where I can. I am in the UK so there is the time difference to work on there. Here is an example of what we would like to be able to do with
    NTA IP groups:

IP Group 
    Network-A-1
    Network-A-2
    Network-A-3

Network-B-1
    Network-B-2
    Network-B-3
    Network-B-4

Network-C-1
    Network-C-2
    Network-C-3

Then group those into Site groups:

SiteA - Network-A-1, Network-A-2, Network-A-3
    SiteB - Network-B-1, Network-B-2, Network-B-3, Network-B-4
    SiteC - Network-C-1, Network-C-2, Network-C-3

And then be able to run traffic profiles of site 2 site traffic:

SiteA and SiteB
    SiteB and SiteC
    SiteC and SiteA

As we have an MPLS network and getting our NTA data from Riverbeds it's a lot of work to filter out site to site traffic.

Hope that makes sense.

Z.

• This makes a lot of sense.  You'll be able to create IP address groups that represent sites in the way you described above.   Site to Site traffic would have be based on a particular application.

For example, once you've defined your IP address groups, with the enhancements we're working on you'll be able to define an application using the following attributes:

• Port, Ports, or Port Range (25 for mail SMTP mail traffic)
    • Source IP - select existing IP Address Group (e.g. Site A) or create a new one
    • Destination IP - select existing IP Address Group (e.g. Site B) or create a new one
    • Protocol
  • Chris,

That sounds perfect - look forward to trying it out when it's available. Thanks for all your help with this request.

This is my first real experience with Orion and Solarwinds and I have to say it's all very positive.

Z.

• Glad to hear that!  I'll send you an email today so we can setup some time to run through a preview demo of what we're working on.

• Will the current limitation on overlapping address groups be lifted as part of this feature? I am also very interested in being able to do this, but I need to be able to see stuff like:

WAN Site 1 <-> WAN Site 2

All WAN Sites <-> Headquarters

Etc.

Right now you can't define overlapping address groups.