This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node Management in System Manager

Please allow Node managment in the System Manager.  I manage a very large environment and being able to use the web console only is very limiting.  I understand that this was done at the request of some customers; however, for those of us who use SolarWinds in an enterprise environment, limitations are not acceptable.  Please accept and push this enhancement as soon as possible.

• I'm curious what you're having trouble with in the web management?

• I would like to discuss this some more.  So why is the web console limiting in your opinion?  We made some changes in 9.5 SP4 which should help make the web node management better and will continue to work on it.  

We have have multiple conversations on this topic here on thwack, see here for one of those threads.  

• It is too slow.  I have 5 polling engines and using the web page can be like watching the grass grow.  When I was able to manage nodes in the System Manager I could do the things I needed to with ease and speed.  Using the web page really slows things down and when I try to obtain metrics from the web page, due to some of the issues with the earlier service packs I cause strain on my database.  I really think it would be beneficial to have the choice of the System Manager and the web console.  The slowness is killing me.

• Have you gone to 9.5 SP4 and seen the changes we made?  Is the performance still rough?  Not sure if you looked at the other thread I linked to, but this boils down to if we keep this in the web and system manager we have to maintain and update/fix two different code bases to do the same thing essentially.  If we are busy doing this, this ultimately means less new features/enhancements etc. we can deliver to you.

• Actually I just found out about SP4 today; however, this was the same thing I was told about SP3 and I still had issues.  I found a bunch of things that were causing the polling issues and fixed everything I could.  I understand about the issues with the code, but it seems that limiting users is not the way to go.  I read the notes on SP4 and they say a lot of what SP3 stated.  I have to go through a process to get this applied since out entire network is monitored by SolarWinds.  I can't simply install it considering it is in a production environment.  I will install it as soon as I am able to.  Installing SP4 won't correct all the issues though, the web console and views are still slower than using the System Manager so SP4 is not really a fix for all of my needs.

• Important question:  I asked SW support this and have not received any answer...what were the release dates of the service packs and hot fixes for V9.5 ????

• Quickest method I can think of would be to look here  The day we release them I post them to the forum here, so the dates should line up

• Why so many service packs?  I have not installed SP4 yet; however, I am working on it.  I have a process that has to be followed to do this.  These service packs really interrupt our monitoring and to be quite honest have not fixed the issues I am seeing.  Besides the web console being incredibly slow I see that I have numerous instances of my polling cycles falling behind and at given time.  This could be from 5% to 95% behind.  When I had V9.1 installed I rarely saw this kind of performance degradation.  Why have things changed so much in V9.5?  What is SP4 going to fix in relations to my issues when I was told that SP2 and SP3 were going to fix them?  I saw no improvement, in fact in some ways I feel I was pushed backwards.

• Specifically what issues are you seeing?  Have you opened support tickets on any of them?  

Regarding the Service Packs, with 9.5 we made some upgrades and changes to the product that caused issues in the field, n particular, we had a number of issues with Network Atlas, and much of what we've been doing in these service packs is fixing those problems.

• Opened support tickets?  That is all I have been doing.  I have spent countless hours opening support tickets and receiving different answers constantly.  In some cases I can't even get a good, solid answer to what the problem is.  The issue i am seeing is there is a percentage of devices that are falling behind the polling cycles on all my engines.  The main SLX poller is contantly behind since the V9.5 upgrade by anywhere from 5% to 10% behind.  Since we use SolarWinds as our main network monitoring system this is unacceptable.  The main difference between 9.1 and 9.5 that I have noticed is the job engine file.  This is a SQL server compact edition database file.  This thing constantly becomes large at a very fast rate.  Could it be that SQL server compact is not a good enterprise size solution and causing issues with the polling and the main database?  I would really like to find a solution not, "lets try this to see if it fixes it" or "install another service pack."