This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Map Error

Hi, we recently started having issues with our network maps...  Some maps, at random times (aka they rarely work), are generating the error

Unexpected error: An error occurred while generating map 75205ddd-2a07-4677-8030-ffc2b391b7a2.OrionMap

We were on 9.5sp1, and were getting an error with the entire C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\NetworkAtlas\Maps\Orion\localhost\[file] path.  We had reason to look through the maps last week, and they were working, previous to that, windows updates were done a week earlier.  After digging through google and some threads here, decided to upgrade to sp4, and now we're getting the above error (obviously with different filenames for different maps).  Any point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
  • I am looking into, however, have you opened a ticket with support?

• Please check whether the C:\Windows\temp directory is accessible for the IIS service (verify that the service has sufficient rights to write there). You may also try to delete the folder C:\Windows\temp\NetworkAtlas and then refresh the website.

If this does not help, I would suggest contacting our support.

Thank you,

Michal

• I've run in to this a couple of times now after various other glitches and the consistent and predictable solution does appear to be deleting the C:\WINDOWS\Temp\SolarWinds\NetworkAtlas folder.  This does not require any service restarts and has behaved well every time I have needed it.

• We are experiencing the map error noted in this thread on one of our two additional web servers.  Deleting the NetworkAtlas folder in the C:\Windows\temp\SolarWinds directory on the problematic web server did not seem to resolve the issue.

The map is working find on our other additional web server for some reason.

Any other pointers on how to solve this problem?

• Try this: change the identity of the website service to "Local System". If this works, there might be a problem with the policies set in your local network. Otherwise, contact our support.

• Thanks!

In addition I found that if I click on the Edit button for the map element I get the following error on that web server as well...

Orion Website Error

There was an error communicating with the Orion server.
    Additional Information
    There was no endpoint listening at net.tcp://localhost:17777/SolarWinds/InformationService/Orion/ssl that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.
    Troubleshooting Steps

1. Confirm that the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service is running, as shown in the following steps:
             1. Click Start > Administrative Tools > Services.
             2. Right-click SolarWinds Orion Module Engine, and then click Start.
       2. If the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service is already running, contact SolarWinds Support.
       3. Refresh the Orion Web Console browser.
       4. If the Orion Web Console does not display, contact SolarWinds Support.

• byrona,

This KB article may address the Orion Website Error you've encountered.

• Thanks, I will try this out if after checking a few other things the problem doesn't get resolved.

I certainly hope it doesn't have to come down to actually re-installing a service considering that this was working before.

• Overnight we also lost the ability to see maps. The home map frame displayed the error

"Unexpected error: An error occurred while generating map 843391e8-701f-468c-bb03-c94b533fd565.OrionMap"

This only affected an additional web server while the primary poller continued to display maps and other information OK. Interestingly, reports that are displayed on the additional web server also failed to show.

On the additional web server, I ran the Configuration Wizard selecting only the website. On completion it did not restart the website service, but I started it manually without problem. Both the maps and reports immediately displayed on our wall monitors.

Have we got some sort of application housekeeping issue that needs addressing?

Robert

NPM9.5 SP4

• I realize this is an old post however, I am having this same issue and wonder if a fix has been found.

My distinct issue is:

When logged in as admin I see all maps

When I create a new user (and grant all access) the map does not display and I get the Unexpected error: An error occurred while generating map 6f9249f1-224e-4fd4-863e-caa8cb4108da.OrionMap.

I am using Orion NPM 10.1 on a Windows Server 2008 machine.

Please let me know your thoughts because I am going to be rolling this out to the organization soon and need this functionality.