This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Setting up the Unplugged Feature?

Hello,

I was very pleased to see the unplugged feature come out for 9.5.  We monitor all our switch ports and I had to take steps to filter out most nodes beause almost all of them showed problems.  We have nearly 18k interfaces on our 2 pollers and I would have to say close to 3/4 of them are switch ports.  Is there any programic way to set a group of interfaces to unplugged?  I did a few switches and it took quite a long time.  

Also, when adding a new device can we set the setting then instead of adding it then going back and setting it?

Thanks!

• I am just about to upgrade to 9.5, and would very much like to hear some answers to these questions. Surely you don't expect everyone to have to manualy select each and every switchport to set it to unplugable?

• So if you go under web node management you can show interfaces instead of nodes and then  use the group by and/or search feature to narrow down the list and then select all the interfaces you want to set to unplugged and edit and select unplugged and submit.

How were you doing it?

• Hi,

If you want to do this via SQL then there is the brute force update:

UPDATE Interfaces
    SET UnPluggable = 1
    WHERE <insert your logic here>

Will take effect on your next poll.  Run "Poll Now" to test it out.  Back up your DB, test on a small subset first, be safe.

There was no great way we could come up with in the new device flow to have items set as unpluggable, because either you would have to go one by one when adding them to mark them as unpluggable or we would have some nice buttons like "mark all down interfaces as unpluggable".  We thought that since this is a one time shot, that doing it once after the fact, while tedious, is the best way.

We are willing to listen to feedback, given that this is a new feature.

Thanks

• I've been putting off doing this just because of the amount of interfaces I need to change.  I'm thinking it might be easier for me to set all interfaces to unplugged and then change our critical links back to normal.

I'd think a button that sets all of the ports for selected switches to unplugged would be handy.

• So if you go under web node management you can show interfaces instead of nodes and then  use the group by and/or search feature to narrow down the list and then select all the interfaces you want to set to unplugged and edit and select unplugged and submit.

How were you doing it?

I tried that once and IE locked up on me pretty hard and I had to kill it.  There were just way to many interfaces to list and with no way to easily filter them I was left with a lot of data loading.  

One thing I wanted to do was to hit all the Fast Ethernet interfaces on all our switches.  I wasn't able to trim them down enough.  (Routers were added, etc.)

Also, trying to check and uncheck all those boxes would be enough to drive someone batty! emoticons_happy.png

There was no great way we could come up with in the new device flow to have items set as unpluggable, because either you would have to go one by one when adding them to mark them as unpluggable or we would have some nice buttons like "mark all down interfaces as unpluggable".  We thought that since this is a one time shot, that doing it once after the fact, while tedious, is the best way.

We are willing to listen to feedback, given that this is a new feature.

I'd perfer to have it at the screen when I'm adding a device. (Interfaces like you mentioned.)  I like the idea of "set it and forget it" when adding a device.  I don't want to add it then remember to go back and set it especially if I'm adding a few devices in a row.  Just my opinion though. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

one major issue with the way this interface is working is that once you select interface and do a search for say a single switch name once you apply the change the screen will refresh and drop the search, usually locking up due to now you are trying to view all interfaces on all devices.

• Good feedback from all of you.  I think the point is obvious, feature is great, but we need to make it easier to set and enable.  Have either of you upgraded to SP4?  We did make some changes to web node management in SP4 based on ya'lls feedback and you not have paging of results

• On another note, when I go to Customer Portal, then select Download Software, what I'm presented with doesn't tell me what service pack it is, it just lists that it is version 9.5 of NPM. Across the top it says that these are the latest versions, but it doesn't actually tell me which SP might be inside it.

Am I correct that there is no place to download "Service Packs", and that you have to do a full download to upgrade withing a Major/Minor Version ?? Say 9.5 SP 1 to 9.5 SP4.

• When you log in there is a section the lower right that has the service packs.  Its pretty easy to miss.

• JUST upgraded to NPM 9.5 SP4, and I can certainly say that having to click every interface on our regular user switches to set them to unplugable is a pain....

I would love to see some kind of template for such a thing, where I could say, All the Cisco C3560G-48PS devices assumed that G0/1 - 48 were unplugable and left the G0/49-52 to our custom selection (most commonly used for uplinks)

I tried to checkbox the upper level switch container, but it doesn't select all the interfaces under it... was hoping for that kind of functionality... then I could select the whole switch then uncheck "unplugable" on the uplinks.

I hope you guys have some plans for improving this interface for setting unplugable, because it's quite a pain to do manually for just 9 switches, much less thousands...