1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 7:06 AM by lhorstma

Troubleshooting Advanced Alerts

MagnAxiom

I'm wondering if there is some way to be able to see the test results of say, and interface status change vs a specific rule.  Here is my problem:

S0/0/0 interface on Node "Sparky" goes down.  Interface and Node statuses are updated on the "Last 25 Events".

I get an email alert for my node status being down, but I don't get an email alert for the interface down status back in my data center, on Node "Bumpy".

I have two separate advanced alerts governing these. Bold words are custom properties in the Node custom properties section. "Type of Property to Monitor" is set to Node.

Node down looks something like this...

Node Status is equal to Down

AppGroup is equal to Network

City is not equal to Dallas

City is not equal to Houston

Which works just fine. Here is my trigger logic for interface down alerts. Again the Custom Properties come from the Nodes Customer Property tables.

Interface Status is equal to Down

AppGroup is equal to Network

City is not equal to Dallas

City is not equal to Houston

I get no alerts from this rule set.  It is enabled. The email group is correct.

I guess i would like to be able to look back during the event to see what part of this logic didn't work.  Then I started thinking, can I reference Node custom properties even though I have the "Type of Property to Monitor" set to Interface?

Node names were changed to protect the innocent.

• Re: Troubleshooting Advanced Alerts
          lhorstma

I guess i would like to be able to look back during the event to see what part of this logic didn't work.  Then I started thinking, can I reference Node custom properties even though I have the "Type of Property to Monitor" set to Interface?

It should work as long as you don't change the "Type of Property to Monitor". Leaving it on Interface and then selecting your trigger condition -> Network Nodes -> Custom Properties -> City should work just fine. Just make sure you don't change "Type of Interface to Monitor" back and forth within an alert, because then it won't work. If I have an alert that doesn't fire when everything looks right I usually just blow it away and create a new one. I don't know of any way to step through the alerting process, but that would definitely be helpful.