This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

DNS Lookups from System Manager

For the longest time, we have been using System Manager to identify devices that needed to be added to our DNS so when we get Syslog entries, the IP will resolve to the proper host name.  I created a view with the IP Address, Host Name, System Name and Reverse DNS fields for this purpose.

I noticed today that my view showed a reverse DNS entry for a device but I couldn't look it up via nslookup or via DNS Audit using the toolset.  I called into Tech Support and was told that the Reverse DNS field comes from an SNMP pull from the device.

I'm a little confused as to why it's coming from the device itself rather than looking it up from the server and would appreciate an explanation.  In my use case, I have no way right now to quickly identify which of my nodes are actually resolving reverse or forward (for that matter) DNS properly without using another tool. 

My feature request is to allow us to create views within System Manager that will provide both forward and reverse DNS lookup fields to choose and have the system check it realtime when the report is ran just as a tool like DNS audit does today.  If this is not possible then I'd request a feature for the DNS Audit program in the toolset to be able to import a comma delimited node list from Orion.  Thanks for listening to your user community.

Robert

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

My feature request is to allow us to create views within System Manager that will provide both forward and reverse DNS lookup fields to choose and have the system check it realtime when the report is ran just as a tool like DNS audit does today.  If this is not possible then I'd request a feature for the DNS Audit program in the toolset to be able to import a comma delimited node list from Orion.  Thanks for listening to your user community.

We'll consider this.  Although if we do it, we'll put it into the web console, not System Manager.  We have no plans to add anything to System Manager.  We are porting all that functionality to the web console.