25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2009 1:03 PM by korosy

CBQoS without Netflow

Hello folks,

As I understand it NTA CBQoS shouldn't require any further configuration on top of what's required to monitor a standard interface using NPM (SNMP access).  I've added an interface into NTA that isn't configured for netflow monitoring - should I still be able to monitor the CBQoS stats for the interface without configuring the port for netflow?

We have a number of interfaces at remote sites that we don't necessarily need netflow for but we do need QoS stats....... if we do need to configure netflow on these interfaces is there any way of monitoring the netflow traffic throughput?...... I don't want to congest my WAN links with statistical data.

Cheers,

Gareth.

• Re: CBQoS without Netflow
          ET

Hi

answer on your question is [yes]. You are able to collect CBQoS data independently. So it doesn't matter if your node exports netflow data or not, you should be able to see CBQoS data if they are provided by node.

thanks

GZhytar

ET is absolutely right.

Just to clarify a little bit:

-          You do not need to configure NetFlow on a router to consume CBQoS data

-         You should manually monitor interface in NTA

-          Last NetFlow Received time in sources tree is not updated by CBQoS data, so there will be value ‘never’

thanks,

Thanks for your replies guys. When I browse to an interface that isn't collecting netflow traffic I'm unable to click it to view the stats for the interface - i.e. the interface name doesn't link to another page.  Does this mean that CBQoS stats aren't successfully being collected for the interface?  Is there any way of checking?

kahmeelyon

Thanks for your replies guys. When I browse to an interface that isn't collecting netflow traffic I'm unable to click it to view the stats for the interface - i.e. the interface name doesn't link to another page.  Does this mean that CBQoS stats aren't successfully being collected for the interface?  Is there any way of checking?

I am having the same issue.  I notice that since I applied the NTA service pack that was released on 8/3/09 NTA is no longer discovering CBQoS enabled interfaces and automatically adding them.  I also notice that the interfaces it had added are no longer showing updated dates.  As with Jonesy, I am unable to click on interfaces that I added manually.  I tried adding the CBQoS resources to the interface details page.  It seems to pick up the fact that there is a service-policy applied but I don't see any data in the graphs.

Please advise!

Does your interface list look anything like this kahmeelyon?  Granted I've only just installed NTA so there is only one interface listed.

kahmeelyon

Jonesy, yes that's exactly how it looks.  Prior to the 8/3 service pack, NTA would detect CBQoS enabled interfaces (which were not Netflow sources) and automatically add them to the list.  The last service pack seems to have broken this.

chris.lapoint

That's correct.  Prior to SP1, we collected CBQoS data from all "CBQoS-capable" interfaces in Orion regardless of whether they were added as NetFlow sources or not.   This created caused performance issues with a lot of customers because of the amount of data being collected.

With SP1, we've changed this to only collect from interfaces defined as NetFlow sources in NTA.   We're investigating how to meet your use-case of wanting CBQoS for NTA interfaces, but not wanting to define the interfaces as NetFlow sources.

Can all customers experiencing this issue please open a support ticket and reference this thread?  This will help with prioritization and allow us to get back with you to discuss our proposed options for resolving.

Thanks,

kahmeelyon

Here's a suggestion for you: don't mingle this with NTA.  CBQoS is an SNMP "pull" whereas Netflow is a push.  It was never clear to me why CBQoS was made part of NTA and not NPM.

In my case a firewall is preventing netflow packets from reaching Orion but I can SNMP poll.

savell

Support ticket #113812 raised.

We are not at 3.5 each, however the CBQoS data is one of the major features we have been waiting for. However, even with the upcoming Netflow filtering options to reduce flow traffic into the database, we won't be able to enable Netflow on all the interfaces we wish to collect CBQOS data.

In fact, for performance reasons we need to be able to select even which devices we collect CBQoS information from. I agree with the above comment - this would have been better fitting into NPM.

Dave.

Here's a suggestion for you: don't mingle this with NTA.  CBQoS is an SNMP "pull" whereas Netflow is a push.  It was never clear to me why CBQoS was made part of NTA and not NPM.

In my case a firewall is preventing netflow packets from reaching Orion but I can SNMP poll.

Yeah I agree with Kahmeelyon, alas I've just paid £5k for NTA as QoS reporting was one of our requirements, we didn't necessarily need all of the NTA netflow features - Solarwinds will be glad to know that by keeping CBQoS in NTA they're forcing people to purchase the product!

I'll get a support ticket raised this morning and quote the reference.

Cheers, Jonesy.