32 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2009 10:02 AM by dwayneko@yyc.com

If you're curious as to what we're working on...

bshopp

Here's a quick list of the things we've currently got cooking in dev for IPAM:

• Microsoft DHCP Integration - allow you to define your DHCP servers in IPAM and pull in and monitor those scopes
      • Out of the box DHCP Scope and Subnet Usage Alerting - set and alert on DHCP Scope and Subnet usage

Please speak up if you have comments on any of these items.  

As always, thanks in advance for your feedback!

Brandon

• Re: If you're curious as to what we're working on...
          mattjenkins

Id love both of these...

Would the MS DHCP integration allow you to manage the scopes from IPAM??

The reports, id like some reports only looking at the DHCP usage and non DHCP usage... ie we have some subnets that are heavily DHCP used and other thats are heavily Static used... and associated alerting.

Matt

bshopp

The integration would be one way or read only, it would not allow you to push any change back to the DHCP server, you would need to use their native tools to do that.

Brandon, thanks for your reply to the "roadmap" thread, which points me to this thread.

I must say, that's an very short development list compared to the things on your user Wish List, where you have written that you have logged all the great suggestions there.  That thread made me think there would have been more than two enhancements under active development.

So, I'm a tad disappointed, unless there's more that you just failed to mention.  So when might we expect a new release of IPAM with those two DHCP enhancements?  I think they're wonderful and certainly would make my life easier!

Thanks again, -sd

bshopp

My response would be two fold

1) We released 1.0.1 back on 6/16 and 1.0 and the end of April and are now working on this release, so we have cranked out a new release every couple/few months.  While these two items are the major themes, there are smaller items in here and bug fixes.  Based on alot of great feedback from ya'll we have leaned towards smaller quick releases instead of longer releases with more features.  Unfortunantly, as much as I ask Development I can't have both many features in a short period of time  

2) These two items have been above and beyond the two major items we have heard in the community on thwack and via other methods.  So what is important to you and your organization.  We do have many features listed out on that other thread, please jump in and throw your vote on items you would like to see or add new items if they are not there.

Brandon,

Those are excellent new features.  One other feature that I would like to see is the ability to export a subnet in a BIND DNS file format.  It would make DNS management a breeze.

Thanks,

Brian

bshopp

I can see how that can be useful.  Do you have an example of one of yours you could send me?

Brandon,

Here is a sample forward and reverse file from a BIND DNS server.  I've changed IP addresses and names to protect the innocent.  :-)

Forward named file sample:
                          ;
                          ;primary host data file for abc - foo.foobar.com
                          ;
                          @                 IN        SOA      foo.foobar.com.  root.foo.foobar.com.  (
                                                               1.1     ;serial
                                                               3600    ;refresh
                                                               600     ;retry
                                                               3600000;expire
                                                               86400   ;minimum
                                                               )
                          ;name servers for abc
                                            IN        NS       gobi.abc.
                          ;other name servers
                                            IN        NS       kalahari.xyz.

;define all hosts in foo.foobar.com
                          pix               IN        A        192.168.181.1
                          vpn          IN        CNAME    pix.foo.foobar.com
                          helpdesk          IN        A        192.168.181.62
                          owa              IN        A         192.168.181.63

Reverse named file sample:
                          $ORIGIN 181.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
                          $TTL 86400
                          @     IN     SOA    ns1.foo.foobar.com.     hostmaster.foo.foobar.com. (
                                              2009051801 ; serial
                                              21600      ; refresh after 6 hours
                                              3600       ; retry after 1 hour
                                              604800     ; expire after 1 week
                                              86400 )    ; minimum TTL of 1 day

IN     NS     ns1.foo.foobar.com.
                                IN     NS     ns2.foo.foobar.com.

1       IN    PTR    pix1.foo.foobar.com.
                          62    IN    PTR    helpdesk.foo.foobar.com.
                          63    IN    PTR    owa.omniture.com.

smcdonald

Hi Brandon,
                        both sound good!  For the MS DHCP integration - I'm wondering if it will support dual DHCP servers correctly?  We run 2 DHCP servers in each subnet and they share the range so that we have some kind of redundancy - will IPAM cope with that?

One thing I was hoping for at some point was a way to take the info IPAM is gathering on IPs/MACs and tie up the client IP/DNS names to ports on my switches.

I have several competitor products that do this out of the box and always felt it was something big missing from NPM.  Since you already have the ARP tables from my routers, mac addresses from the switch, DNS name lookup functionality and now subnet scanning with IPAM then I would assume you guys could bang this lot together and give me even better visibility on my switch ports :)

Another thing I was hoping for was the ability to edit multiple IPAM entries at once - it's a real pain to put the same details onto every entry one by one when they're the same...  (eg description/comments/static/dynamic etc)

Sean 

bshopp

Sean,

On the MSFT item, can you expand upon this a little further please.  When you say share the range, you are saying both have the same scope of IP's and one is primary and the other is secondary or within the same subnet you have two different scopes for two DHCP servers?

On  the second item, can  you confirm what you are looking for is a switch port mapper or user tracking as other implementations I have seen call it?

smcdonald

Hi there,
                                For the Microsoft DNS setup we have 2 DHCP servers which each have the full scopes (for offices with multiple subnets we're using ip helper addresses to forward requests) - on each server we exclude the range of addresses that the other is using. 

So lets say we have a /24 subnet - we usually reserve the first 50 addresses for routers/servers/printer/static IP assignments and then take the remaining 204 addresses and split them across the 2 DHCP servers so each has a portion of the scope - eg 102 on each.

This is so that is one of the DHCP servers has an issue at most half of the subnet is affected - and in an emergency we can simply enable the rest of the scope on the other server (with conflict detection on of course).  It's not a perfect solution to redundancy but it works well especially in some of our smaller offices.

As for the second item I mentioned - yes - a switch port mapper - I know that functionality exists in the Engineers Toolkit but really that should be built into Orion I think these days - all the info already exists in the devices we're polling - it just needs to be put together on the web page - one of our other (more expensive) monitoring systems has this built in and is the primary reason that we still keep it around - although we use Orion as our primary system - we keep having to fall back to the other one to get the switch port to ip/dns name lookup so we can figure out where things are. 

The biggest feature I use in that other system is search for MAC/IP/DNS name - I now have IPAM going and that has a similar search - the only thing missing is that switch port info - that would really be a killer for us!

Thanks!
                                Sean

familyofcrowes

Is there anyway you can add Cisco IOS DHCP scopes? 

Thanks!!

tearl42

Hey Brandon,

We're also looking at this system and I agree with one of the other users that the price points on this are WAY out there. Here are some of the things that I think would be really sweet...

* DNS administration (forward and reverse zones, import existing zones via zone transfer)

* link addresses together via pointers - ideal for NAT

* IP address request system - allows users to request static IP addresses from the database

SLXer

Brandon,

The attached image is an image from a IPAM solution that does most of what our organization needs. I am trying to determine if this functionality is in the Solarwinds road map.. and if so in what kind of general time frame?

When might we see the DHCP integration feature?  Thanks, -sd

ndealmeida

bshopp

I am havening issues with 1.0.1 on orion I was told 1.5 may fix the issue.

Is there any way to get a hold of the RC

Thanks

pguenther

The ability to select multiple IPs at the same time and edit their properies (default and custom) at the same time. Similar to the Node Management functionality where you can select what properties you want to change to apply to all nodes selected.

Does 'Subnet Usage Alerting' mean when a new ip appears on a subnet that an alert is generated?

Does IPAM have the ability to show the last time and ip was used?

Thanks,

Dwayne