11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 2:41 PM by warbird

Kudos on v9.5 w/SP3 and a couple of questions

warbird

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say well done on v9.5 with SP3.  I just upgraded from 9.1 and things went fairly well.  I especially like the new mapping system, Network Atlas.  My Orion implementation seems to be running much more smoothly with the main page loading right away, while the map still loads separately.  The intermittent page load errors we would sometimes see have gone away since this upgrade.

A couple of questions:

When I inherited this Orion installation, they had set it up to redirect HTTP traffic to the HTTPS site.  The way it was accomplished is very elegant.  They simply created another web site in IIS and once created, selected the "redirect" option, pointing it to the HTTPS site.  However, this broke for some reason when I performed the upgrade.  I fixed it by simply creating a new HTTP site and doing the exact same thing.  I never could get the original redirect site to work again.

Question #1 is:  Is doing the HTTP redirect in this fashion a 'bad' thing, in your opinion?  If so, why?

Something else that broke upon upgrade was NTA.  I could not get the upgrade to run at first.  After searching around here at thwack, I removed the NTA 'something-or-other' module and then was able to perform the upgrade.  Upon reboot, the NTA service was not running and when I click the NTA link from the main page, all of my netflow configured devices and settings are gone.  I was running NTA 3.1.

Question #2 is:  Is this expected with NTA upon upgrading NPM from 9.1 to 9.5 and are my NTA settings still saved/accessible somewhere?  This is not mission critical but I would like to learn and know this.

Thanks again.  I am very happy with 9.5 SP3.

• Re: Kudos on v9.5 w/SP3 and a couple of questions
          denny.lecompte

From Dev:

If you want all your users to be using HTTPS (which is perfectly reasonable), then you have two options: have no HTTP site (users attempting to browse using HTTP will get some kind of “site not found” error) or create an HTTP site that does nothing but redirect to the HTTPS site. Paypal.com is the first site that comes to mind that is using the always-redirect-from-http-to-https model on the public internet.  So yes, this is a reasonable thing to do and it should work with Orion. Not a bad thing at all.

chris.lapoint

Question #2 is:  Is this expected with NTA upon upgrading NPM from 9.1 to 9.5 and are my NTA settings still saved/accessible somewhere?  This is not mission critical but I would like to learn and know this.

Your NTA settings during the upgrade should be preserved.  The only thing to verify after upgrade is the "Automatic addition of NetFlow sources" setting to ensure if you had it disabled that it has not been re-enabled.

NTA 3.5 SP1 works well with 9.5 SP3.

warbird

Your NTA settings during the upgrade should be preserved.  The only thing to verify after upgrade is the "Automatic addition of NetFlow sources" setting to ensure if you had it disabled that it has not been re-enabled.

NTA 3.5 SP1 works well with 9.5 SP3.

Just checked.  When I click the NTA link, the page where all of my sources used to be is blank except for the NTA summary advert and the "netflow settings" box.  I have gone into settings and verified the "Automatic addition of NetFlow sources" is still disabled.

Not sure what happened to the netflow sources we previously had defined.  They simply didn't show up, post-upgrade.