4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 8:03 PM by chaldz

ipMonitor on Server 2003 - Cannot Ping

chaldz

Occasionally my server 2003 cannot ping certain devices which then causes ipMonitor to show these devices are down.  From any other server or workstation the device showing it's down replies to pings just fine.  Any ideas as to what could cause this?  Or any settings I could try changing to resolve this issue?

• Re: ipMonitor on Server 2003 - Cannot Ping
          Andy McBride

Hi chaldz,

A couple of questions on this one -

Is it always the same devices that show down or is it random? If it is the same ones, is there a common path between the IPM server and those devices? Can you do a PCAP from the IPM server and examine the ICMP packets to the devices in question?

Andy

• Re: ipMonitor on Server 2003 - Cannot Ping
              chaldz

It's not always the same devices, however a few are more common than others.  Some devices are on the local LAN and some are on the WAN.  When this first started to occur, I was adding the MAC/IP to the local ARP table to get it fixed.  I thought it could have been the Dell switches we use, 5324 that this server is connected to.  However I have already tried connecting this server to a Cisco 2924 and this issue still occurs.  This only happens maybe once a week.  My next step is to update the NIC drivers.  But I wanted to see if anyone else has had these issues.  Didn't know if it was related to IPM pinging so many devices.  Every monitor I have is set to ping every 60 seconds.