This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I create a high transmit percent utilization alert to monitor interface bandwidth

I have an interface that I need to monitor the transmit percent utilization.  For example the bandwidth is 64/128k.  How would I create a trigger for something like this?  In the alert section there is a condition that  can be added for setting Xmit Percent utilization is greater then a number. 

So would this trigger mean.

Xmit percent Utilizing is greater than 5

Is the 5 talking about 5% of the interface bandwidth?

• Under basic alerts and Property To Monitor whats the the difference between monitoring "Transmitted Bits Per Second" and "Transmitted Percent Utilization" and "Transmit Port bandwidth"  aren't these all monitoring the same thing, the amount of trasnmitted traffic through the link?

• Mikejay,

Personally, I normally just use advanced alerts, as I have found them to give me more flexibility in what I monitor and alert on.  I haven't used transmit port bandwidth before, but I assume that monitors the actual bandwidth of the interface you are monitoring.  For example, if you are monitoring a multilink interface with 12 T1s bundled together, you'd have an interface with a transmit bandwidth of 3 meg.  If one of the T1s dropped for some reason, the transmit bandwidth of that interface would drop to 1.5 meg.  You could be alerted if the interface bandwidth changed to alert you to the fact that you've lost one of your bundled links. 

Transmitted bits per second and transmitted percent utilization both monitor the amount of transmitted traffic.  It just depends on your preference as to whether you monitor and alert on traffic rate (bits per second) or percent of utilization of the interface's total bandwidth.  You might have a link with a specific CIR and you want to be alerted when your traffic rate exceeds your CIR.  Most CIRs I've seen have been a specific amount of data versus a percentage of the circuit.

Hope this helps.

• So if I have an interface with the following bandwidth 64/128k.  The commited information rate is 64 and the CIR + busrt is 128.  I want to monitor this for high transmit utilization.  What would be the best method?

• If it were me, I'd set the alert to trigger once the bandwidth exceeded the CIR of 64Kbps instead of using a percentage.  That's assuming you want to be alerted when you exceed your CIR.